My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

If you have a family member in the Royal Navy, RAF or army, find support from other Mumsnetters here.

Forces sweethearts

Freedom of Borough

3 replies

Patch66 · 03/04/2011 00:15

Is giving regiments freedom of the borough a good thing? Local council is thinking of doing it. Regiment isn't based in borough and it will cost money for the event at a time when local voluntary groups are under pressure.

Would a contribution to Help for Heroes or other support fund be appreciated more by the forces?

OP posts:
vintageteacups · 03/04/2011 10:47

I think the Army Benevolent fund perhaps or Royal British Legion.

penguin73 · 03/04/2011 22:13

It is highly thought of and very much prized and will be for years to come so is very important.

mpsw · 05/04/2011 07:04

I suppose that's for the elected councillors to decide: it is something likely to be much appreciated, and noted in both civic and Regt history. A donation would never have that same sense of public appreciation.

Donations to a charity may be ruled ultra vires: is it something this council can legally do?

If they do go down the charitable donation route,then you do need to think about which charity. Help for Heroes raises money for the big capital projects, run by others, for Iraq/Afghan veterans. I'd choose SSAFA, or RBL, both of whom provide caseworkers and services without which the benevolent effort to current and former service personnel would collapse, the ABF, or the individual Regt's own benevolent fund (they all have one).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.