My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

If you have a family member in the Royal Navy, RAF or army, find support from other Mumsnetters here.

Forces sweethearts

Assignment orders - how far in advance?

16 replies

SnailWhaleTail · 20/02/2011 16:57

Just a quick question, I've been trawling through all the bits and bobs but can't find where it gives regs on how far in advance the RN has to give assignment orders.

Situation is DH starts short course in Shriv at end of May, then some sea time July- Nov, then a year long course Nov 11. He has the Assignment order for Shriv but not the rest.

Normally I don't really mind being last minute but DS2 is starting year R in Sept and I would like DH's place of work to be pinned down so we can apply for a school (late application obv).

So 2 questions; can DH request his next 2 assignment orders now, or if not how long in advance is he entitled to have them? Given that the long job starts in Nov and HIC only allocates 28 days in advance is there a way of being allocated a quarter any earlier to try and alleviate the school situation?

In all this I'm presuming that the HIC will discount the sea job even though the base post will not change for the long course as it isn't long enough to 'count'.

TIA for any answers or pointers on where to look.

OP posts:
scaryteacher · 20/02/2011 18:01

Is he doing the ACSC at Shriv? If so, then why can't you move for the shorter course, and then stay there for the sea time and then the longer course?

Get your dh to ring the appointer and get him to sort it out. They are normally quite good. We've had at least 6 months notice for dh's last two appointments.

SnailWhaleTail · 20/02/2011 18:39

No, Scary, it's the ICSC so only 8 weeks. DH is currently trying to pin the appointer down to which ship he'll be on for the Pre-PWO time prior to starting at Collingwood for PWO in Nov.

Mr appointer is sadly reluctant to commit to anything on paper! Hoping for Pre-PWO out of Portsm. though to try and sort schools etc.

OP posts:
MrsSnaplegs · 20/02/2011 20:53

To be honest I would apply for 1/4 based on the Pwo course, appointer can do draft order for that on jpa now and you can apply for 1/4 early based on applying for school place. Opt for hillhead as nearer to collingwood, nice primary school and lovely village close to beach. Pm me if you want help as we are in g'port

vintageteacups · 21/02/2011 11:32

Scary - ACSC is 11 months

scaryteacher · 21/02/2011 13:39

She states a year long course from Nov 11. Admittedly my dh was Directing Staff on the ACSC a while ago, but 11 months is almost a year.

When my db moved to his appointment in Portsmouth last year he was given the choice of 1 MQ at the newish estate at Daedalus and that was it. You may not get an option!

vintageteacups · 21/02/2011 13:40

oh sorry - thought you meant the short course Grin

vintageteacups · 21/02/2011 13:42

it starts September though - not November. And they're now bringing out the pink list earlier so that people can be loaded onto the course by September

scaryteacher · 21/02/2011 17:31

Wouldn't know what a pink list is - they don't exist in the RN.

SnailWhaleTail · 22/02/2011 17:51

Sorry for confusion, is RN ICSC (8 wks) then some sea time then PWO for 13 months.

HIC have agreed we can run together the seatime/PWO as they are both out of the same port, so I can apply now and hopefully move in July if DH can persuade the ever helpful (dis)appointer to put them on JPA.

Now, I love the look of Titchfield which has MQ in Farm Road or any recommendations in Hill Head/Stubbington would be great. Any and all personal info/ reviews of the local primary schools would also be v welcome.

Thanks,

OP posts:
scaryteacher · 22/02/2011 23:18

Titchfield has good little shops and a great butchers (and my mil). Anywhere round there will be a farking nightmare to get out of in rush hour as the traffic is horrendous. Titchfield does have a primary which is supposed to be good.

As I said earlier, my db was offered the choice of take it or leave it for his MQ when he moved up from the SW last year, as MQs are oversubscribed. He was told there were 10 applicants for his MQ, so he took it. The new estate at Daedalus (counts as Lee on Solent) isn't too bad - he has a 5 bed house (or 4 and a study) which is new and OK. Waitrose isn't too far by car, and there is a pub which does nice food and a garage/small supermarket that seems to do most things.

MrsMatelot · 23/02/2011 12:19

The Hillhead/Stubbington Estate (also known as Seafield Park) is a nice community, but at the moment houses are in short supply. The schools in Stubbington are excellent and I would say if you have children that is the best place to be. Its a mix of old and new houses.
The traffic is a nightmare over there at certain times of the day, however, if your dh is at Collingwood on course its not too far and not too much of a hassle. As far as I am aware, there are only 5 houses on Farm Road, Titchfield. There are also quarters in Alverstoke.
Moving slightly further afield, there is a big estate in Drayton. We are in Southwick, which is a lovely estate of older houses.

MrsSnaplegs · 23/02/2011 18:48

Swt what age children? I will check local schools as I am in alverstoke and can ask about the ones in hillhead area. It's lovely there.

SnailWhaleTail · 24/02/2011 15:39

Kids will be yr R and yr2 in Sept 11. Interesting about the traffic though as I will hopefully be working at QA hospital or one of the hospitals in Southampton so will need to travel at peak times 2 or 3 days a week.
MrsMatelot do you know if there are any Type 5s in southwick?

Still trying to get info/orders out of the appointer though!

OP posts:
MrsSnaplegs · 24/02/2011 18:56

Ok if working at qa either go for hillhead area or southwick do not come into gosport as the traffic is awful. Will check schools next week when dd is back - will ask our headmistress which is best there

MrsMatelot · 24/02/2011 19:05

All the houses apart from 1 are Type Vs and Type V Specials in Southwick. They are all occupied at the moment, but thats not to say that people won't be moving in the summer.
The HIC may try & say that you have to be based at Southwick Park to have a MQ up here (they did with us), but will allocate if you push and there is availability.

SnailWhaleTail · 26/02/2011 19:26

Thanks for all the info, it's really useful to get a heads up.

MrsM, do you happen to know which are that catchment infant schools for Southwick Park? As far as I can see from the MOD info sheet it would be a case of getting the children to POrtchester.

Thanks again, I can't tell you how useful all this is.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.