Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The most basic and simple recipes

waheymouth · 05/07/2022 16:24

I am looking to try cooking things from scratch rather than unhealthy processed oven foods.

I can't cook though and don't really know where to start.

I like garlic, mushroom and onion and eat meat.

Does anyone have any very simple dinner recipes they can share?

Also considering trying meatless dinners with lentils and Dahl but never used these ingredients so again don't really know what I'm doing.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LetMeInYourWindow · 05/07/2022 16:34

Maybe start with a couple of simply cook boxes? They are just little pots of seasonings you add to raw ingredients and they come with full instructions. Aldi even sell a selection of them singularly. Really simple and easy to follow to help you gain in confidence by creating some easy enjoyable meals.

www.simplycook.com/

Please
or

PastMyBestBeforeDate · 05/07/2022 16:39

You could get Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course book. It covers the basics well.

Please
or

Georgyporky · 05/07/2022 17:46

I recommend :-
www.bbc.co.uk/food/techniques

Lots of short videos & accompanying words on how to prepare & cook a huge variety of foodstuffs.

Please
or

TheThreadisMildlyAmusing · 05/07/2022 18:00

Garlic, mushroom, onion = Mushroom Risotto, google for recipe and cooking instructions.

Try your local charity shops for some basic cookbooks. I think Delia Smith's complete How To Cook is good, also Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours’ by Jamie Oliver, Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook, or
Time to Eat: by Nadiya Hussain.

Please
or

froomeonthebroom · 05/07/2022 18:10

Chop garlic, mushroom, onion. Fry until they look pretty cooked. Add mince. Break up and fry until brown. Add a tin of tomatoes, salt, pepper, dried mixed herbs. Serve with pasta.

Please
or

HarryPopper · 05/07/2022 18:14

Mushroom rice, mushroom omelette, portobello mushroom grilled and used as a burger, mushroom and garlic pasta, steak and mushroom, beef stroganoff, mushroom and beef casserole/slow cooker, mushrooms poached in milk and eaten with garlic bread or a piece of toasted bread rubbed with a garlic clove or smeared with garlic butter/olive oil, cream of mushroom soup..... you can google any of these ideas for recipes.

Please
or

Chelsea26 · 05/07/2022 19:08

fry a chopped onion and chopped chicken breast/thigh for a few minutes, add crushed garlic and sliced mushrooms and fry a few minutes more. Add in cream cheese (flavoured or not) and or pesto and serve with rice or pasta.

fry an onion and garlic for a few minutes in a saucepan then add curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander and Garam masala. Fry for another minute then tip in some split red lentils and vegetable stock. Turn heat down and simmer for 20/25 minutes until thick. Serve with rice

Please
or

Perfect28 · 05/07/2022 19:10

Slow fry thinly chipped potatoes and sliced onion in heaps of olive oil until soft. Sieve to drain oil and add to beaten eggs. Mix, season and leave to stand for a few minutes. Cook egg mixture to make a delicious tortilla.

Please
or

User0ne · 05/07/2022 19:25

Spinach and date salad:

1. Put some thinly sliced red onion or shallot with quartered dates (get juicy ones like medjool) in a bowl with some lemon juice and salt.
  2. Fry off some chopped almonds and cubed bread in butter/oil 50/50 mix, takes about 6mins. Sprinkle on 1tsp sumac and 1/2tsp salt when cooked
  3. Put 100g baby/young spinach in a bowl, put everything else on top, mix and add Balsamic vinegar to taste.

Lovely and less than 10mins. You can use it as a fancy side too if wanted
Please
or

waheymouth · 05/07/2022 20:19

These all sound great and tasty thank you.

I have the mince one a good this evening but with boil in bag rice instead of pasta.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.