Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Delivery services like Hello Fresh for one person?

MrsAvocet · 03/07/2022 17:38

Can anyone recommend something similar to Hello Fresh that does meals for one? Trying to get my soon to be student adult son to eat properly when he leaves home. Obviously I know it would be better/cheaper if he would shop and cook "normally" from scratch but he's a bit of a dreamer and not very well organised and I think he's going to struggle a bit at first. I thought one of these delivery services might be a good way to get him started - got to be better than takeaways and pot noodles - but so far the ones I've seen don't seem to do meals for one. Any recommendations? Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sova · 03/07/2022 17:43

I’d get him the hello fresh option for 2 but less meals in a week and this way he could eat the leftovers the next day so that’s better financially. Or he could put the second portion in the freezer or invite a friend:)

Please
or

StrawberryLipstickStateOfMind1 · 03/07/2022 17:46

If he's an adult of student age he probably has quite a big appetite so maybe would be fine with the 2 person ones?
I've not tried any of the meal kits, but I know I always find ready meals to be quite small.

Please
or

MsSquiz · 03/07/2022 17:56

We get Gousto for 3 meals between Me and DH but often 1 or 2 of the meal choices are just for DH, so he will have one for dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day.

It's really only worth it if he will eat the double portion himself or have the leftovers the next day

Please
or

dizzyupthegirl86 · 03/07/2022 18:09

Mindful chef can do meals for one person, I’ve not tried them myself though.

Please
or

fedup078 · 03/07/2022 18:12

I get HelloFresh for 2. Make 2 but eat one the next day
Saying that though when I'm hungry i have been known to eat 2 meals , whoops

Please
or

AppleKatie · 03/07/2022 18:12

I agree, get for two people and have leftovers.

im not sure I’d have cooked hello fresh as a first year student though…

Please
or

Queenie24 · 03/07/2022 18:24

This is a perfect thread as I was just thinking about food over the summer as my children are away most of it and my husband will be working away too. I lack ideas so a meal box would be perfect for me.

Please
or

Ferfecksackmammy · 03/07/2022 19:32

At the moment augusto is working well for me. Its meals for 2 but I'll eat half and either freeze half or eat the second one the next day. Its probably at the moment I'm probably saving money as I'm not shopping every day.

Please
or

Ferfecksackmammy · 03/07/2022 19:34

I'm not sure if it's allowed but I've got a code for 65% off your first box cook.gousto.co.uk/raf?promo_code=BERNA41972052&utm_source=androidapp

Full disclosure I'll get £20off my next box so win win

Please
or

rnsaslkih · 03/07/2022 19:35

I’d do hello fresh making sure that the selected meals lend themselves to reheating. It is a hall ache cooking every day so it would be better this way anyway.

Please
or

KillerQueenGunpowderGelatine · 03/07/2022 19:35

Mindful Chef is the only menu box service that does 1-person meals. It's more expensive and better quality than both Hello Fresh and Gousto. (I've used all 3.)

That said, some HF meals are tiny, so a teen boy might happily eat a 2-person portion. Others - esp. the pasta-based ones - are massive, so he'd have enough for 2 days.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 03/07/2022 19:49

dizzyupthegirl86 · 03/07/2022 18:09

Mindful chef can do meals for one person, I’ve not tried them myself though.

They do but they are more expensive.

He’d probably be better only cooking every couple days OP so hello fresh might be better.

I assume you are quite cashed up so a meal delivery service like tastily might be better if he isn’t into it (he wouldn’t be the first person to leave them to rot)

Please
or

StrawberryLipstickStateOfMind1 · 03/07/2022 19:53

I know it's probably not ideal but nothing bad with happen if he lives on noodles/toast, I did it when I was a student and if he wants to eat properly, he'll sort it out himself.

Please
or

RedCarsGoFaster · 03/07/2022 19:59

I've had the Gousto boxes for 2 by myself in the past when DH is at sea (Navy). I usually had half for dinner then half for lunch the next day. You can order up to five meals (as of this week!) in one box.

A referral code gets you 65% off your first box and then 30% off any additional boxes for your first month. And I get £20 credit towards my next box 😁

cook.gousto.co.uk/raf?promo_code=ALLIS33205208&utm_source=androidapp

It's a great way to learn different cooking methods. Tell DS to keep the recipes cards (they send you a free ring binder for them) and remake them. If an easy way to write a shopping list that's not wasteful as well.

Please
or

MrsAvocet · 03/07/2022 21:19

Thanks all. I'll look at all the suggestions.
I think I'll maybe order some at home before he goes and see what they're like. He isn't a big eater so I don't know that he'd eat a double portion.But he probably wouldn't be averse to eating left overs so it might work. He's a bit quirky. Tends to get very absorbed in things and forget to do mundane stuff. I suspect he could go quite long periods without eating if not prompted. Nothing like my other son who is a human locust! A catered hall would probably have been better but unfortunately there aren't any where he is going so he will just have to cope!

OP's posts:
Please
or

StrawberryLipstickStateOfMind1 · 03/07/2022 23:31

He sounds a lot like Dd's bf, he'd forget to eat, and she will just make noodles!
They've lived together for three years and managed not to die though!
They are both really good cooks and bf is a great baker, but they don't bother on a day to day basis.

Please
or

Haus1234 · 04/07/2022 08:24

If you go for this, make sure he has all the different cooking equipment he will need? I certainly didn’t have more than one pan when I was a student! We have been caught out for a couple which need a food processor recently for example …

Please
or

Georgyporky · 04/07/2022 18:17

There are reasonably priced meal delivery companies that might be suitable.
Wiltshire Farm Foods - if he's got a freezer & microwave. I've had a few, & they're OK.
Parsley Box are ambient temp storage - but I don't know what they're like.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.