Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Good quality knives for chopping veg

TrashPandas · 01/07/2022 16:54

I get a lot of wrist pain and I think good, sharp knives would help. I'm vegetarian so I only chop veg, no meat. Can anybody recommend a good knife or set of knives?

I don't have a specific budget in mind but I'm probably looking more mid-range. I don't want to spend hundreds.

OP's posts:
Please
or

toastofthetown · 01/07/2022 17:00

If you have wrist pain, I’d really recommend going to a kitchenware shop and trying some out for yourself, as which knife feels right can be a very personal thing. Rather than a set, I’d get two knives a paring knife and a chefs knife or santoku knife sending on which suits you. Maybe a bread knife too. If you don’t want to spend a lot, Victorinox are well regarded and inexpensive.

I’d add that having a sharp knife will put less pressure on your wrist, so I’d avoid putting the knife in the dishwasher and find a way to keep it sharp.

Please
or

TrashPandas · 01/07/2022 17:10

Thank you for the great advice! There is a cookware shop nearby.

I don't have a dishwasher (well I do, but it's me) so that's handy.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SheSaysShush · 01/07/2022 17:51

You only really need one or two good knives like a chef knife and utility. Sharpen after every use. I have 3 global knives (chef, utility and bread) which I use for everything.

Please
or

chiffchaffchiff · 02/07/2022 18:21

I use this one. Mercer Culinary M22608 Millennia... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PS2XI4?ref=ppxpoppmobappshare

Please
or

loveyouradvice · 03/07/2022 01:42

Im a Victorinox tomato knife fan ... literally use it for all my veggies!

You can but 4 for £22.....

I can't live without it and even take one when we go away on holiday....

Please
or

Triffid1 · 04/07/2022 10:26

I agree that you really only need one or maybe two good knives - one medium size which you'd probably use the most and maybe a smaller one for the odd thing that's a bit smaller/needs more delicacy.

Robert Welch knives are very comfortable. You can get them at stores like John Lewis or Lakeland. They're pretty mainstream and pricey but not crazily so.

I'd agree with a PP though that you should go in and try. Even within the RW range for example, there are a variety of sizes and shapes, often just subtly different from each other, which is helpful.

Also buy a sharpener and use t regularly.

Please
or

Daftasabroom · 04/07/2022 10:30

@TrashPandas there's lots of good knives but whichever you choose buy a steel and learn how to use it, I sharpen my knives pretty much daily but only for a few seconds. Also do not put them in the dishwasher.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.