Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Does anyone make their own wine?

MarmiteCoriander · 29/06/2022 20:36

I had no idea where to post this? Last week I was at a boot sale and bought some demijohns for sloe gin. The price, however, included a whole wine make kit! Thermometers, beakers, huge plastic tubs, bottle lids and who knows what else. Boxes of things!

Does anyone make their own wine? Worth it? What else could we make in the kit? I have visions of either making an undrinkable moonshine, or bottles exploding! Any tips appreciated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Georgyporky · 30/06/2022 10:09

I used to make my own wine & beer many years ago. I only stopped when my income increased !
The easiest way to start would be with a tin of conc. grape juice, rather than collecting things like elderberries etc.
I suggest you get a book about it, or maybe there's instructions on WWW.

Please
or

Lindy2 · 30/06/2022 10:21

I make my own sometimes. It's fun - especially the bottling up stage where I generally get quite tipsy trying to suck up the new wine through the tube to syphon in to the bottles. 🤣

I always buy a kit though. They're about £10 from Wilkos.

All you need is a demijohn, bottles, airlock cork, brewing sugar and the fun syphon equipment. It sounds like you already have that in the kit you've bought.

Please
or

sueelleker · 30/06/2022 10:42

I have used kits, although I generally make "quick wine" from fruit juice. (1 litre grape juice, 1 litre any other juice you fancy, approx 800g sugar, and water to a gallon)
Whatever you make, leave it until the bubble have stopped coming through the airlock, and the sediment has settled. Rack it off, and if you're worried about bottles exploding, add some stabiliser before bottling.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.