Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Rhubarb

JustAnotherViper · 29/06/2022 19:17

I’m totally overrun with rhubarb. What the hell can I make with it all?

(I’ve already gifted lots to friends, family and neighbours - but it just keeps growing)

OP's posts:
Please
or

onlywhenidream · 29/06/2022 19:18

Jam

Please
or

Flopisfatteningbingforchristmas · 29/06/2022 19:19

If you have freezer space it can go in there.

stew it and have it with greek yoghurt for breakfast.

Please
or

Thecatisboss · 29/06/2022 19:21

I make rhubarb jam, strawberry and rhubarb jam, rhubarb vodka was a success and Jamie Oliver has a nice pork belly with rhubarb sauce.

Please
or

SkankingWombat · 29/06/2022 19:25

I stew and freeze anything I can't eat or don't have time to do more with at the time. Ours gets made into jam, liqueur, crumble, or a fool/Eton mess-type thing generally, but also sometimes used in a recipe of mackerel with rhubarb sauce.

Please
or

drowsy · 29/06/2022 19:28

I made this cake the other day - it was delicious https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easyrhubarbbcake39568

Please
or

AnneShirleysNewDress · 29/06/2022 19:29

Make me jam please 😆

Please
or

steppingout · 29/06/2022 19:33

Strawberry and rhubarb pie is delicious. Also strawberry and rhubarb upside down cake

Please
or

TamSamLam · 29/06/2022 19:36

You can replace the blueberries in pretty much any blueberry muffin recipie.

You can also put it in pasta sauces and curries, anything with enough flavour and you can't really taste it.

Remember stewed fruit is an acceptable dessert after every meal.

Please
or

DilkushaKitchen · 29/06/2022 19:38

We got this recipe in our Riverford box years ago, it's a favourite of ours. Think it is probably freezable.

BOB'S RECIPES
Spiced Rhubarb Relish

Serves 2-4 as a side, prep 5 mins, cook 15 mins

This is an ideal condiment for a sharp cheese, some fatty roasted pork or whole grilled mackerel

200g rhubarb, cut into 1cm dice
½ small onion, finely diced
1 orange
60ml cider vinegar
100g brown sugar
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 star anise
2cm cinnamon stick
pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)

Heat a little oil in a small saucepan and fry the onions gently for 5 mins until starting to soften.

Meanwhile remove a long strip of zest from the orange with a peeler.

Add the rhubarb to the pan followed by the vinegar, sugar, orange zest, ginger, star anise and cinnamon. If you fancy a bit of heat, add a pinch or two of chilli flakes.

Cook gently until the rhubarb has completely collapsed and thickened; about 10 mins.

Remove the zest, star anise and cinnamon. Add a pinch of salt to season. Use more sugar or a squeeze of the orange juice to sweeten further if it is a little too sharp for your taste.

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 29/06/2022 19:38

Alternatively you could just send it to me. I love it but for some reason it dies in my garden.

Please
or

endofagain · 29/06/2022 19:40

Rhubarb crumble.
Blanch and freeze it all while you figure it out.
Jam.
Marinade in gin or vodka ready for Christmas.
Rhubarb fool.
I love rhubarb. It is very under rated.

Please
or

MintJulia · 29/06/2022 19:40

Rhubarb daiquiri 😀

Please
or

DilkushaKitchen · 29/06/2022 19:41

This rhubarb ketchup recipe was popular last year too, but I never got round to making it.

Please
or

Friendofdennis · 29/06/2022 19:45

you could simmer with sugar and freeze Then you can make lots of things with the purée. I made a rhubarb and stem ginger fool on the weekend. It was delicious. Just puréed rhubarb with half a jar of stem ginger and the ginger syrup blended together. Whisk double cream with icing sugar to taste. Whisk half the rhubarb and stem ginger into the cream and swirl the rest through. You could do another fool with rhubarb purée and elderflower cordial

Please
or

SheSaysShush · 30/06/2022 21:26

Rhubarb and custard cake

Please
or

00100001 · 30/06/2022 21:27

Have it with pork! It's delicious

Please
or

BadAtMaths2 · 01/07/2022 11:29

@countrygirl99 lots of water and manure help it in my garden. Doesn't like sandy soil though.

Rhubarb vodka is a lovely colour ....

Please
or

MaJoady · 01/07/2022 11:32

Spiced rhubarb chutney is a good option too if you want some less sweet choices.

It's great with creamy cheeses

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 01/07/2022 12:18

BadAtMaths2 · 01/07/2022 11:29

@countrygirl99 lots of water and manure help it in my garden. Doesn't like sandy soil though.

Rhubarb vodka is a lovely colour ....

We're on heavy clay and I yhjnk it just gets too wet over winter. I tried digging in lot's of manure (have a horse so unlimited supply) but the dogs find manure a gourmet delicacy.

Please
or

BadAtMaths2 · 02/07/2022 07:06

@countrygirl99 my dog loves manure too. Have to drag her away from it round the roses and keep her in if I’ve put blood fish and bone down.

my rhubarb is on heavy clay but in a raised bed to keep out the wet. It grows v well.

Please
or

WildGeece · 02/07/2022 07:12

We've made the this rhubarb kimchi a few times. Soooo good if you like that sort of thing. Used lemon zest instead of sumac and cumin seeds instead of nigella seeds, as we don't have them. Rhubarb kimchi

Please
or

chiffchaffchiff · 02/07/2022 18:18

Rhubarb syrup to make rhubarb and custard cocktails. www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rhubarb-custard-cocktail

The recipe makes 4 cocktails but I make extra and keep it in a sealed jar or bottle in the fridge. It's never gone off before.

Please
or

rumred · 02/07/2022 18:20

Jam. Freeze some for cakes. Always add more than recipes state

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.