Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Out of date food?

SquirrelSoShiny · 29/06/2022 12:47

Just wondering how long you will risk using out of date food (past BBE rather than use by). Things like dried pasta and tinned beans I will use for ages after but I have lots of pouches of pre-prepared lentils / quinoa etc (so not dried, the type that are cooked and you normally just heat up for 2 mins). I found them in a box at back of cool dark cupboard with dates from 2018 on. Packets are intact. Same with multiple packets of dried spice mixes etc.

Would you use them or dump them? I'm having a massive clear out of cupboards and wondering do I just need to get over myself, get rid and start afresh? I also hate wasting food but I have ADHD and housekeeping / organisation is such a challenge for me. Clear cupboards would help enormously. I'm nearly answering my own question aren't I?πŸ˜‚

Still curious though: would you eat pouches etc that are 2-4 years out of date?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LovelaceBiggWither · 29/06/2022 12:49

I'd eat them. The spices might have no flavour or smell though so I'd open them and toss if they are dead.

Please
or

Wellthatsjustswell · 29/06/2022 12:51

Nope.

the herbs & spices, yes, but you may find that you need to use more as their flavour may have reduced, but the pouches -not a chance.

Please
or

SquirrelSoShiny · 29/06/2022 13:05

Aaaarrrrggghhh! Why is it so paralysing? I have such food waste guilt but have chaotic cupboards means more gets lost and therefore more food waste.

So yeah I need to bite the bullet and start again πŸ˜•

OP's posts:
Please
or

fuzzwuss · 29/06/2022 13:10

I wouldn't eat something that is that much out of date. I always do the sniff test for fresh stuff, and have no problems with eating stuff that is officially past the date, but four years is quite a time. How about setting a deadline, everything from 2018 and 2019 (and earlier) goes straight in the bin, and then open something from 2020/2021 and test it... ?

The spices can be sniffed, if there is not much flavour, bin them, if they still have aroma you could use them up.

Please
or

Lastqueenofscotland2 · 29/06/2022 15:47

I would eat them…

Please
or

KarrotKake · 29/06/2022 15:52

I would eat the herbs and spices. I'd probably try the pouches BUT if you still have these from 2018, do you actually eat them, or did you buy them during a health spree in 2016? If that's the case, you aren't going to eat them whatever the date, so just bin.

Please
or

DockOTheBay · 29/06/2022 15:55

I don't think I would eat pouches of cooked stuff that was so far out of date. 6 to 12 months out of date I would, but 4 years is too much for me.

Please
or

SquirrelSoShiny · 29/06/2022 15:56

Thanks all 😊This is really helpful!

One more question: the two bags of Huel, unopened, BBE 03/2020. Was forty or fifty quid for the two. It's vegan so dried pea protein etc. All dry ingredients and because I never tried it I've nothing to compare it with.

And yes, @KarrotKake there may have been a health kick at the time πŸ˜‚I feel seen.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.