Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please tell me about your air fryer

Tulipomania · 26/06/2022 13:56

We have an Everhot (range cooker, like an Aga) that I like to switch off in summer.

When it's off I use an induction hob, microwave & DH does a lot on the BBQ but currently have no way of making, for example, roast potatoes or cooking a pizza.

Wondering if an air fryer would fill that gap and also be economical in energy use?

Are they easy to use and most importantly does the food taste good?

OP's posts:
Please
or

KangarooKenny · 26/06/2022 15:52

Mine wouldn’t be big enough to fit a pizza in.

Please
or

custardbear · 26/06/2022 15:58

Watching! I'd love an air fryer ... I think!! Watching. 🥰

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 26/06/2022 16:02

It’s the best thing I’ve bought, no more putting the whole oven on for a few chips or wedges. I’ve warmed a pie in it today.
I did bacon in it but wasn’t impressed, I prefer it fried.

Please
or

Latenightreader · 26/06/2022 16:03

We stayed with a relative recently and used hers to cook roast potatoes, sausages and...something else (sorry, can't remember what). It was amazing! It was fast, non greasy, and low energy. We are looking into one for home so we don't need to switch the oven on!

Please
or

SilverGiraffe7 · 26/06/2022 16:06

I have a Ninja Duel air fryer which I love and do most of our day-to-day cooking in. It has two drawers which means you can put, for example, fish in one drawer at one temperature and time, then chips in the other at a different temperature and time and it'll all finish at the same time which is rather convenient. It does take up rather a lot of space on the worktop, mind!

Please
or

EinsteinaGogo · 26/06/2022 16:07

We got one last week.

A VonHaus 5.5 litre one.

I'm enjoying it.

The kids have done wedges and fries in it and crispy burrito wraps which were a bit hit.

They also did baked bananas which they loved.

I've done teriyaki salmon (5 fillets) and it was lovely and crispy.

Our one would take a whole medium sized chicken.

It would take a small pizza but not a sizeable one.

Please
or

Titsywoo · 26/06/2022 16:23

Mine is pretty good but it wouldn't work for a pizza as there is 8 inches diameter to the basket. I don't think there is one a huge amount bigger. Maybe a baby belling would be better for what you need?

Please
or

Tulipomania · 26/06/2022 18:02

Can you bake a cake in it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BeaLola · 29/06/2022 16:00

Not wishing to derail OP but I have been pondering similar q

• how faffy are they to clean
  • can you do toasted sandwiches - my DS14 question !

I don't know anyone with one IRL
Please
or

BeaLola · 29/06/2022 16:02

Oops posted too soon ! For a family of 3 what size would you recommend/not recommend , Thank you

Please
or

BertieBotts · 29/06/2022 16:06

We put the basket of ours in the dishwasher but DH reckons we're ruining it doing that.

You wouldn't fit a pizza in but can use it for anything (smaller) that can be cooked in an oven. Apparently you can bake in them but I've never tried. Ours always has residual grease because we use it for oven chips and chicken nuggets so I think that might be a problem for a cake.

Please
or

LaWench · 29/06/2022 16:12

I'm 3 weeks into owning a ninja foodi 14in 1. So far I absolutely love it, the only thing I use the oven for is pizza. Pressure cooker, airfryer, steamer, proves and bakes bread.

Please
or

NellieJean · 29/06/2022 16:20

We have an Instant Pot bought from Costco. It’s brilliant and I reckon we save a fortune not heating up the oven. For more than 2/3 people capacity is limited.
Its also a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, a sous vide (no idea) makes jam (no chance) and other things I can’t remember. The one thing it isn’t is a fryer so I’ve no idea why they call them that.
The only downside is it’s the most ugly, monstrosity I’ve ever seen but if you put it away you won’t use it.

Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 29/06/2022 17:23

Currently debating buying one, but can't decide which one! Needs to be large.

Please
or

Ballsaque · 30/06/2022 17:19

I’m going to go for the ninja 15 in 1. Looks enormous but it means I can get rid of my slow cooker/yogurt maker and a couple of other things.

Please
or

netpix · 30/06/2022 17:25

What actually is the largest you can get? Like for a family of six adults who eat chips, pies, roast veg etc please?

Please
or

CafeCremeMerci · 30/06/2022 17:26

NellieJean · 29/06/2022 16:20

We have an Instant Pot bought from Costco. It’s brilliant and I reckon we save a fortune not heating up the oven. For more than 2/3 people capacity is limited.
Its also a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, a sous vide (no idea) makes jam (no chance) and other things I can’t remember. The one thing it isn’t is a fryer so I’ve no idea why they call them that.
The only downside is it’s the most ugly, monstrosity I’ve ever seen but if you put it away you won’t use it.

I'm SO confused

I thought 'instant pots' were like slow cookers, designed for stews etc.

I live on my own. I'm thinking about getting something more economical than the oven for this winter. I only really cook vegetarian sausages, roast vegetables & the occasional thing like mozzarella/tomato bakes (crumb coated from things).

I'm not sure what I would find the most useful

Please
or

BeaLola · 01/07/2022 17:57

Thank you to all those posting from experience. I have also seen the thread on the Thermomix

Trying to decide on the ninja I wondered if QVC had any info and there was a demo video which was useful - am going to show my DH

I am wondering how easy to use IRL as my DF91 is concerned about bending down to the oven (he is partially sighted) and is on his own so heating oven for his food is expensive (tbh he is comfortable off but often will not bother as it's just for him do has soup & bread) or microwaves M&S meals for one.

Please
or

AlmostSummer21 · 11/07/2022 18:25

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm stalking all the recent ones.

I just don't 'get' them!

I've googled endlessly, but don't seem to be able to find anything that really explains them properly.

how can you 'cook chips' so they're crunch and also make soup in them?!?! Not at the same time - that much I DO understand🤣🤣

Please
or

Possiblynotever · 11/07/2022 18:28

Love mine! I had a Philips and now a Ninjia and if you want roast vegetables quickly it's a game changer!
Also wonderful for roast beef, chicken and salmon.
Not so much for baking cakes ...

Please
or

caramac04 · 11/07/2022 18:42

I’ve got a Ninja 11 in 1 which I love, cook whole chicken or meat joint in then roast potatoes and veg whilst meat resting. Pressure cooked potatoes for mash are the best! I have steam baked and baked cakes and bread in it.
Today I got a Ninja dual max and cooked doner meat in one drawer.
They are cheaper to run than a conventional oven because you are heating a smaller space, no preheat required and generally cook at a lower temperature than in main oven. They can be, but are not always, quicker.
The dehydrate function, ( very low temp 60’) is great for a meat joint if you’ve got to take DC to footy or similar as it cooks slowly for 6 hours. Leave to rest and it is very tender and moist.
I don’t work for Ninja but I absolutely rate their products.
Good prices at NinjaKitchen currently and if you sign up for emails you get an extra 10% off.

Please
or

caramac04 · 11/07/2022 18:47

@AlmostSummer21 chips are cooked in a basket inside the inner pot which is always used.
For foods like cottage pie, rice/rice pudding, spaghetti Bol the crisper basket is not used and you cook in the pot. Easy to clean. I make less mess and washing up cooking cottage pie in the Ninja.
it is possible to cook things like bread and cakes in another tin in the pot providing it fits of course.
Hope that helps.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.