My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For related content, visit our food content hub.

Food/Recipes

CALLING ALL CAKE BAKERS - I'm making a black cake, will black food colouring stain everyone's teeth?

18 replies

MadreInglese · 21/04/2011 12:21

I'm making a cake for a friend's business launch and it needs to be black to tie in with the company colours

I've made many cakes before but nothing in such a dark colour and I'm suddenly concerned that it'll dye everyone's teeth black who eats a slice Shock

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

OP posts:
Bunbaker · 21/04/2011 12:23

Can you not just do the icing in black? Then people can pick it off if they don't want to eat it.

MadreInglese · 21/04/2011 12:28

yes sorry I meant the icing will be black, not the sponge!

OP posts:
Bunbaker · 21/04/2011 12:29

I don't know the answer. If you have some of the food colouring can you make a sample size batch of the icing and try it yourself?

bellavita · 21/04/2011 12:36

Do you mean you are putting black food colouring into fondant icing which will then cover the cake?

If so, you really need proper paste to colour the fondant - like this. Food colouring is too weak.

or you can buy ready coloured fondant //here

I am making a blue fondant cake and have made a dark green one and it didn't do anything to our teeth.

pleasenap · 21/04/2011 12:58

My friend did some cupcakes with black icing - didn't stain teeth, but it had quite a peculiar effect coming out the other end - vibrant green poo (and it wasn't just me that noticed, several sheepish friends also had the same!).

MadreInglese · 21/04/2011 13:15

lol @ green poo

thanks for the links, will look into the colouring paste, not used that before, or ready coloured may be the way to go

OP posts:
going · 21/04/2011 13:19

I think if you use liquid black it will as you will need loads of it and it will taste horrible! Agree to go for the ready coloured stuff.

MadreInglese · 21/04/2011 13:21

ready coloured will probably give a much more even colour than what I could achieve with food colouring or paste anyway, and it will save me staining my hands black!

thanks for the tips

OP posts:
bellavita · 21/04/2011 13:35

I always wear disposable gloves when colouring fondant.

MadreInglese · 21/04/2011 13:38

I tried some bella but my long nails pierced the finger ends, and thicker ones seemed to make me a bit cack-handed with the detailed bits

OP posts:
UntamedShrew · 21/04/2011 13:42

I made black wheels on our DTs' 2nd birthday Digger cake recently. No teeth staining! I used the black roll out fondant icing.

However I used the gel food dyes to colour some icing for red biscuits (nee-nors :) ) and they stained everyone's tongues.

MadreInglese · 21/04/2011 13:43

ooh yes I didn't think about tongues...

OP posts:
StainlessSteelCat · 21/04/2011 13:50

Have made black icing for car tyres/trim on cakes, had not problems that I've noticed, although of course that's a smaller amount than you are planning.

I didn't use ready coloured, made the icing and dyed it with the paste. As another poster said, the liquid will water it down too much. If it does get sticky, add a little icing sugar.

Also, it does come off hands easily enough (and work tops etc!) so I don't' think staining teeth will be a problem.

If gloves are a no-no, try wrapping the icing in cling film. I also roll it out this way so I don't' need to add more icing sugar.

PorkChopSter · 21/04/2011 14:04

I've seen the aftermath of black icing at a kids party - very odd coloured hands & faces and oooh the nappies

However less of a problem at a business thing, I hope?

MadreInglese · 21/04/2011 14:10

lol porkchop - hopefully it'll be a little less messy than a kid's party but I'm not sure....

I think I'll go for the ready-coloured fondant and just make it as thin as possible to avoid staining and odd-coloured poo and yacky taste Grin

rolling in cling film - not tried that before, does it not burst?

OP posts:
StainlessSteelCat · 21/04/2011 14:18

One sheet above, one below. Rather than wrapped up in it :)

Would definitely use the ready-coloured stuff though. Saves you hours of mixing the paste into it trying to get it black. Can you tell I'm forever traumatised by making Lightening bloody McQueen?

MadreInglese · 21/04/2011 14:22

ah of course!

I've had that frustration before trying to make grass-green icing for a golf cake with food colouring and the bloody stuff just wouldn't go any darker

OP posts:
Fizzylemonade · 21/04/2011 14:24

Another vote for ready coloured, I have always used the paste to colour icing but trying to get the black dark enough was a nightmare.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.