Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Staying warm & the importance of gender (sic)...

8 replies

Whippet · 20/11/2022 14:12

Anyone else read this piece on the BBC website about the effects of cold on the body:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501
"Staying warm: What does an unheated room do to your body?"

I was finding it mildly interesting:
"Science tells us that 18 degrees is the tipping point..."
"my fingers turn white and they feel cold"
until I read this line:
"This would happen even more quickly if I were a different gender"

So that's the answer to big heating bills then. I've just told DH that between the months of Oct-Apr I'll self-ID as male and then I won't get cold so quickly Hmm

FFS. And they're pretending it's a scientific article!

OP posts:
Please
or

Plasmodesmata · 20/11/2022 14:14

You could rewrite the thread title as "staying warm and the importance of sex".

Please
or

Ethelfromnumber73 · 20/11/2022 14:16

I read that article yesterday and didn't notice that- wonder if they've been 'encouraged' to change the wording

Please
or

AlisonDonut · 20/11/2022 14:19

Plasmodesmata · 20/11/2022 14:14

Yes that is why the OP wrote 'sic' after the word gender.

Please
or

WhatsitWiggle · 20/11/2022 14:29

I noticed it in the article yesterday and made a complaint. Gender and sex are not interchangeable terms.

Mind you, I also made a complaint a couple of weeks ago about them using a picture of a child reaching towards bottles of medicine in an article about child health, on the basis it was irresponsible, and they didn't change the image.

BBC news articles are littered with errors these days, it's sloppy journalism.

Please
or

TeiTetua · 20/11/2022 18:21

Unfortunately that would cause most people to misunderstand the meaning. They'd think of sharing some warmth with your partner, not how women and men feel the cold differently.

Please
or

WhatsitWiggle · 24/11/2022 21:06

Woop - got a response from the BBC and they've corrected the article 🙂

Thank you for writing in with your feedback about the BBC News story “Staying warm: What does an unheated room do to your body?” (www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501).

This first-person piece explains how human bodies react to cold temperatures, and we acknowledge your concerns about our writer referring to women as a “different gender” to him.

When referencing biological differences we would usually refer to sex rather than gender, in accordance with our style guide, which advises: “Use sex to refer to a person’s physical development and gender to describe how they identify themselves”. We have since tweaked the text to reflect this.

Thank you again for contacting us – we always welcome the opportunity to review our content. All complaints are sent to senior management and we’ve included your points in our overnight reports. These reports ensure that your concerns have been seen by the right people, and help to inform our reporting decisions about current and future content.

Please
or

Whippet · 24/11/2022 22:06

Excellent to hear they've changed it
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501

I also complained but haven't had a reply yet. It's time-consuming to fill out their forms but I keep doing it!

OP posts:
Please
or

antipodeancanary · 24/11/2022 22:09

I also complained about this article for the same reason and got a similar reply. Result!

Please
or