Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone have book recommendation about women who choose to be single and childfree?

9 replies

EmbarrassedNameChangeDontJudge · 11/10/2022 13:54

And by single I really mean single, no dating, sex, special arragments or whatnot.
Just chosen to be on her own.

I tried google, all I found was a book called The Spinsterlicious Life: 20 Life Lessons For Living Happily Single and Child-free, (that’s a mouthful), has anyone read it?

I’m looking all kinds of books about this, so it can be about womwn who struggled with it, women who were happy to find this lifestyle, or books that talk about the trials and tribulations of being single/childfree or about overcoming them…
All sorts.

Or if you know blogs or something.

And it doesn’t have to be hardcore separatism living in womyn’s land (don’t mind them though), just anything about truly independent women living their lives, not centering men.

OP posts:
Please
or

howdoesatoastermaketoast · 15/10/2022 23:33

I read a lot, for decades and after racking my brain for a few hours I'm not sure I've ever read or seen such a book,

biographies about women who deliberately and consciously choose to prioritise something else they love above family life might be of interest I'm thinking things like:

Africa in my blood my Jane Goodall
The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World (Mary Anning)
Also some of the women who entered religious orders maybe

Please
or

J0y · 15/10/2022 23:37

I have children (19 and 16) but committed to never dating again and it won't be a sacrifice and I feel I will benefit from this. It won't be sad or a pity or a shame. So, watching the thread!

Please
or

Mushroomlady · 15/10/2022 23:42

I want to read Stepping off the Relationship Escalator

Please
or

J0y · 15/10/2022 23:43

I listened to The Extraordinary Joy of being Single by Catherine Grey on Audible. It's really good. I can recommend that. But at the time, I still needed to convince myself a bit. The book worked I guess.

Please
or

J0y · 15/10/2022 23:49

I also listened to books about belonging and bravery on audible. Still doing that. I am 'behind' being single but feel braver women get the most out of it. I will be braver soon and I want that feeling Maya Angelou described (I think) of belonging every where and nowhere. You just know you'll be ok, wherever you go and that radiates out and makes emotionally healthy people comfortable.

Please
or

ProudThrilledHappy · 15/10/2022 23:54

Singled Out by Virginia Nicholson is a great book about the women left unmarried after the war due to shortages of men, and how they used it as an opportunity to live their lives to the fullest

Please
or

ValerieDoonican · 15/10/2022 23:54

I love Lolly Willowes. Not exactly what you were asking for perhaps - written in early 20th cent - but it's about a single woman and it's wonderful. Someone here will hopefully remind me who the author is.

Please
or

J0y · 16/10/2022 00:01

I haven't read either yet but I see I have 'spinster' by Kate Bolick (terrible name) and All the single ladies by Rebecca Traister in my wish list.

Please
or

pondsprite1 · 24/10/2022 00:30

It's sad, but not surprising, there are few books like that out there.
For most women, the reality of getting involved with men seems to be torture at worst and an end to her freedom at best.

I've been doing all sorts of things this last year - learning a new language, computer art, getting closer to immediate family members, writing more.
And I realized recently it's because there's no man in my life I feel obligated to, along with a lost interest in trying to find one.

I'm very romantic by nature, but most men aren't romantic longterm so what's the point? I feel like women desire men because they're expecting something they never actually get from them. I wish there were more books out there to kill that hope : D.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?