Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Woman born of rape ensures her father faces justice, and campaigns for other children born of rape.

3 replies

FannyCann · 09/10/2022 09:14

Article in the Times today which explains how this woman discovered her birth had been the result of the rape of her 13 year old mother and how she fought to see him prosecuted.

I'm pleased to see this issue finally being tackled, and I hope she is able to establish "Daisy's Law" which will mean children born of rape will be seen as victims and have the right to bring a prosecution even if their mother is dead.

It's been some time since I last worked as a midwife, but I always thought our treatment of pregnant teenagers was inadequate. It was all about being non-judgemental etc, and oh well teenagers get pregnant. Of course when it's two 15 year olds that's one thing. But I have had 13 year old patients and I always thought the DNA which is available should have been used and the fatherhood of the baby investigated and prosecuted. I think our age of consent law is there to protect children/young women and should be supported in law with a presumption that a pregnant 13/14 year old is a victim of crime.

Maybe this case will spark some change.

I fought to send my rapist father to jail — Daisy’s Law can help others like me.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/adcefd0a-46ff-11ed-b6ed-f47de7cde676?shareToken=c7c37da2868c617dd6300ef65536ae099_

OP posts:
Please
or

geojellyfish · 11/10/2022 09:20

I fully support the intention of Daisy's Law, but do worry that in practice it will put victims and their children at further risk. Either by preventing them from seeking maternity care or from violence motivated by the rapist seeking to destroy the evidence of their CSA crime.

Please
or

JulesCobb · 25/10/2022 22:50

geojellyfish · 11/10/2022 09:20

I fully support the intention of Daisy's Law, but do worry that in practice it will put victims and their children at further risk. Either by preventing them from seeking maternity care or from violence motivated by the rapist seeking to destroy the evidence of their CSA crime.

This was my thought about the abortion ban in the usa.

Please
or

Thelnebriati · 26/10/2022 10:48

Yes and that's a reasonable first response because its unthinkable that men could just stop raping children.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?