Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Pensions

6 replies

TheHorseOnSeventhAvenue · 10/09/2022 20:57

If you ‘become a woman’ in your later (post-forties life) does it change your pension entitlement?

OP posts:
Please
or

PriOn1 · 11/09/2022 08:41

Why would it? Do men and women have different pension entitlements?

And whether it does or not, he’d be unlikely to find himself in the position many women with children, who’ve separated from a man after taking the child-related career hit that many of us suffer. (Bitter, oh yes)

Please
or

wb3 · 11/09/2022 09:08

I would hope it would make no difference whatsoever.

Please
or

deydododatdodontdeydo · 12/09/2022 07:40

I think retirement age for both men and women is the same now. Previously it would have been an interesting question.

Please
or

123ZYX · 12/09/2022 07:48

I think they banned insurance and pension calculations taking sex into account - maybe around 15 years ago. Previously, women had cheaper car insurance (due to lower risk of high cost accidents) but received less annually from the same size pension savings (due to longer life expectancy)

Please
or

piscesangel · 12/09/2022 07:57

Yes it does. Previous posters are right that pensions being earned now are not sex differentiated, but the nature of pensions is that those being paid out now may have been earned 40 years ago under differentiated rules that still apply. So a change of gender can impact the pension someone is paid (but generally only where there is a gender recognition certificate in place, not on a self identified basis).

Please
or

Princessglittery · 13/09/2022 00:01

Yes but you need a GRC.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?