Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: chat

So, this is just light hearted conversation

32 replies

Beansycheese · 09/09/2022 23:22

I would describe myself as a woman, not a lady. I am definitely not a lady. But when my kids were young, if I had to talk about someone, I would use the terms lady or gentlemen, for example 'move out the way so the lady can get through' I always felt it was more respectful, but not very feminist, if you see what I mean. Anyway, I know I am over thinking it, especially since my youngest is at high school and travels independently now. But has anyone else had this quandary?

OP posts:
Please
or

Mochudubh · 26/09/2022 18:49

tunainatin · 12/09/2022 21:46

I was told that 'woman' originates from 'woe of man', going back to the Christian idea of Adam being tempted by Eve, and so lady is a good alternative.
I do always feel bemused if it's used to refer to me though!

I always thought it was from womb-man, a man/person with a womb.

Please
or

Outofexcuses · 26/09/2022 20:52

Yes Shepostsamongus I think you’re right. Can’t say I’m charmed but it does make me laugh.

Please
or

alexdgr8 · 26/09/2022 21:14

you guys, or hello guys, does include women.
it's just a friendly or informal way to address a group of people.

Please
or

alexdgr8 · 26/09/2022 21:17

if someone was described as a person, it used to be rather slighing; meaning they were of indeterminate social standing and probably inferior.
example, the butler to his master, sir there is a person asking for you at the kitchen door.
he/she is obviously not a gentleman/woman, else the butler would have said so.

Please
or

alexdgr8 · 26/09/2022 21:19

slighting.

Please
or

Binglebong · 26/09/2022 22:06

I use ladies and gentlemen. At its root I suppose that the "better" people were ladies and gentlemen so calling someone that is indicating that you consider them with regard.

But i just use it because it's polite - saying man and woman somehow reduces them to a body whereas lady or gentleman is a person.

Please
or

Beansycheese · 29/09/2022 22:22

Outofexcuses · 26/09/2022 17:22

Something that’s just started happening to me - being addressed by random men as ‘young lady’. I’m 60 with white hair. I think it’s supposed to be a compliment? Totally baffling.

Is your mother home?

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?