Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: chat

George at Asda....

17 replies

Owwasme · 03/12/2021 08:13

Anyone seen this?

Clearly, their party wear is now just for men. Even the women's. And they're STILL partnering with DRM. Beyond abhorrent.

OP posts:
HollyBollyBooBoo · 03/12/2021 08:15

It just never ends does it.

SolasAnla · 03/12/2021 09:09

It's so painfully trying to be so PC that it misses the mark.

The individual objectification of the bodies rather than meeting with a friendship group. We got rid of page 3 for a reason and yet this ad perpetuates that.

Black male with great cheek bones, skinny, tall, cliche. The K-Mart Australia one, which someone linked, works much better (well except for the blue top and skirt).

The OTT "naked fur coat" almost works as a coming out statement.

What's with the shoe colour is look at me colours trend now also a clubbing thing?

The top, what is actually being sold, did not fall right. In one shot it, the move, lights etc. made him look delivery due pregnant. I am totally ignoring the bust line.

The only obvious male in what looks like a single sex event but without personal friends is "women" doing the heavy lifting, again. Why not the football/rugby club lads out on night out with them all accepting him? That would be Asda being stunning and brave.

GodIsAVegan · 03/12/2021 09:17

No wonder Asda clothes don’t fit well, they’re all designed for men’s bodies.

SingToTheSleigh · 03/12/2021 09:21

Oh Asda. Hmm

Just snorted out loud at this reply though :o

George at Asda....
yourestandingonmyneck · 03/12/2021 09:35

I saw this on Twitter this morning. The reaction is much the same as on here.

I can also see the ad on Instagram (I don't actually have an Instagram account though, as I'm too old Grin) and depressingly the comments are all "yesss!!!" "Slay it!!!" "Amazing!!!" I.e overwhelmingly positive.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, and it's the younger demographic that are buying into this, but it is frightening to see that there really is just one voice. So even a young person who does not feel that this is right is unlikely to have the courage to speak out.

It just seems like they are getting completely swept up in all this and it is completely spiralling. It all seems a bit Emperors New Clothes to me and it's frightening.

AnyFucker · 03/12/2021 09:48

Big mistake Asda. Huge.

BraveBananaBadge · 03/12/2021 09:51

It's just not very... Asda is it?

In this case I'd say it's just following a trend and it's a blatant corporate appropriation. The ad exec has been watching too much Pose.

It's shiny and fabulous but not sure it speaks to your average shopper in a hurry, looking for a top for the Christmas do with a trolly full of 29p veg.

Whatwouldscullydo · 03/12/2021 09:52

I still can't believe they still work eitg DRM after the work packs.

This is like a huge fuck you to women trying to protect children

SolasAnla · 03/12/2021 10:18

@yourestandingonmyneck the younger generation are not buying into it in real life. If they were the ad would be him out with a bunch of mates.
The whole idea that men wear makeup or sparkle would not be radical.
From what I am told Instagram has developed different social interaction rules of ignore if you don't like something. I don't know if that is always true?

yourestandingonmyneck · 03/12/2021 10:52

[quote SolasAnla]@yourestandingonmyneck the younger generation are not buying into it in real life. If they were the ad would be him out with a bunch of mates.
The whole idea that men wear makeup or sparkle would not be radical.
From what I am told Instagram has developed different social interaction rules of ignore if you don't like something. I don't know if that is always true?[/quote]
I don't know, I don't have enough experience of Instagram.

I do hope it's true that the younger generation aren't buying into it in real life, or aren't being pressured to buy into it by all this propaganda, but what I can see looks fairly disheartening.

The difference in the reactions on Twitter / Instagram is stark.

SolasAnla · 03/12/2021 11:26

Not to up on it but as I remember
Twitter is for arguments.
Facebook for your grandparents 😀
Snapchat was, I think, like email.
Instagram was more look at me and cheer, with a whole thing about having to like something within a fixed timeframe.
Your mobile was for having the apps so that you did not have to speak on it🤷🏼‍♀️

Humans like to make stuff complicated😂

Mummyoflittledragon · 03/12/2021 12:27

The Ratners response is spot on. Terrible marketing; the shots of all the other dancers / models were so fleeting it was impossible to see the outfits, especially as they were in muted tones and totally eclipsed by the sparkles. If you want to market clothes, do ensure your target market can actually see them. I have no idea who this is ad is supposed to appeal to.

Clymene · 03/12/2021 12:36

Well if Asda's arty dresses are designed to fit men, they're going to look pretty shit on women.

Whatsnewpussyhat · 03/12/2021 12:53

Are asda saying this is a fabulous man who likes wearing clothes designed and cut for women, or that this man is actually a women because he is wearing those clothes?

FissionMailed · 03/12/2021 14:20

Just saw this on Twitter, the amount of hidden replies is probably the highest I've ever seen.

I won't be going there for anything that's for sure. No way clothes designed to fit a 6foot tall rectangular male are going to fit a 5 foot tall circle woman..

kwiksavenofrillsusername · 04/12/2021 10:10

George are tanking their brand in general anyway. It used to be a useful place to buy stuff like jeans and leggings, plus had a few inexpensive fashionable pieces. Last time I went into Asda, it was mostly absolute crap from Missguided like crop tops and bodysuits. Like the sort of stuff a 21 year old would wear clubbing. Seems like a weird direction to take a supermarket brand.

Also, who is really buying party wear this year? Most stores are opting for stuff like Christmas jumpers and loungewear rather than sparkly stuff for parties that might not happen.

So yeah, GC stuff aside, Asda are idiots.

ErrolTheDragon · 04/12/2021 10:27

So long as they put any items sized and shaped for male bodies in the same aisle as the other male-fitting clothes, fine.

Hopefully they've also got a good stock of clothes sized and shaped for women such as robust items with proper pockets? DD had a hard time finding a sensible jacket - lots in the style she wanted for males, none at all for petite females.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.