Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: chat

At last! An airline has ditched the high heels and adopted trainers.

24 replies

Kendodd · 03/10/2021 13:46

I think lots of airlines have flats on board already but trainers all the time seem such a practical and sensible choice.
I hope othe companies (not just airlines) will take note.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58755872

OP posts:

MarieIVanArkleStinks · 03/10/2021 13:49

Brava!

HouseOfFire · 03/10/2021 13:51

Great, no pictures of said flat shoes/trainers though

EatSleepRantRepeat · 03/10/2021 13:51

Hurrah! Much safer too when evacuating an aircraft, no having to go down emergency slides in their bare feet.

Kendodd · 03/10/2021 13:58

Yes there are, in the article, scroll down and you'll see a flight attendant wearing them.

OP posts:

Kendodd · 03/10/2021 14:01

Hurrah! Much safer too when evacuating an aircraft

Yes, better all round, for safety, comfort, foot and muscular skeletal health. I bet they're even cheaper than heels.

OP posts:

ElspethFlashman · 03/10/2021 14:01

God those trainers are hideous.

I was expecting some sort of Ecco/Geox sensible hybrid.

megletthesecond · 03/10/2021 14:02

I saw this in the paper. Really pleased to see it. Hope other airlines follow suit. You can still be smart in trainers.

Kendodd · 03/10/2021 14:06

God those trainers are hideous

I don't think they are, I think they just look like trainers, but even if they were hideous, so what.

OP posts:

BlackAmericanoNoSugar · 03/10/2021 14:11

They got rid of the pencil skirt too, which makes sense. In an emergency the cabin crew's role is to help the passengers, having heels and a constricting skirt could make it harder to move around the cabin and might be the difference between some passengers living or dying.

Spinderellaella · 03/10/2021 14:19

25 years air stewardess here. We are not permitted to wear heels when we are operating ,for safety reasons. We wear them through the airport and change into flats when we get on the aircraft. Then after landing we change back to heels.
I guess all airlines are different.

PartyStory · 03/10/2021 14:22

Good. I can’t believe that companies have prioritised the male gaze above the safety of everyone onboard for so long.

HouseOfFire · 03/10/2021 14:33

@Kendodd

Yes there are, in the article, scroll down and you'll see a flight attendant wearing them.

You mean this one?
At last! An airline has ditched the high heels and adopted trainers.

MarieIVanArkleStinks · 03/10/2021 14:38

@ElspethFlashman

God those trainers are hideous.

I was expecting some sort of Ecco/Geox sensible hybrid.

Not the point. This is not about women looking attractive.

JoborPlay · 03/10/2021 15:10

Yay

PlanDeRaccordement · 03/10/2021 15:13

Yay. Heels are torture devices.

Treeoutside · 03/10/2021 15:15

That's true. But we're living in such an unstylish age. Air hostesses were a throwback.

Dumpedwife · 03/10/2021 15:22

Heels here for when walking through airport but flats inboard too.
I have the choice of skirt or trousers. It's a straight skirt not pencil skirt and it's not allowed to be short or tight. I opt.for my skirt 99% of the time.
I love my uniform tbh. I don't feel sexualised but smart. I like my heels too but glad we don't wear them.knboard or for too long.

I would say majority if women I work with are comfortable and content with our uniform and dress code policies.

Airlines differ but few are as strict or restrictive as they used to be. Many do offer a mix of practical with more traditional and the mix you see worn shows there is a good mix of what women are happy to choose to wear.

AlfonsoTheDinosaur · 03/10/2021 15:25

I don't care how the trainers look; I'm just glad that cabin crew wear them.

Kendodd · 03/10/2021 19:17

Anyone remember that case a few years ago when a receptionist was sent home from her job in the city for wearing flats when company demands she wear high heels? She took them to court and LOST! I couldn't believe it. Being forced to wear something known to cause injury so she could look 'professional' (sexy) tottering about.

OP posts:

KimikosNightmare · 03/10/2021 19:40

Showing what a cheapskate I am but didn't EasyJet do this ages ago?

Stopsnowing · 04/10/2021 05:19

Why are flight attendants even wearing heels through the airport?

Babdoc · 04/10/2021 08:56

If male cabin crew aren’t forced to wear high heels through the airport, why not? And why can’t female cabin crew demand parity?

rurbane · 04/10/2021 09:07

For those of you in the industry, can female cabin crew refuse to wear high heels in the airport if it's part if their uniform? I would twist my ankles on a daily basis.

deydododatdodontdeydo · 04/10/2021 10:18

Cabin crew (female) shouldn't have to wear heels.
A lot of airlines don't insist already.
The trainers seem incongruous with the rest of the uniform, though, they look awful.
I've worked in catering where flat shoes are the rules, heels not allowed, and we wore simple, smart black shoes.
Trainers look silly, in my opinion.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?