Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: chat

"Church still incapable of saying there is no excuse for a priest abusing a child" Irish Examiner article

8 replies

334bu · 12/06/2021 12:36

OP posts:

RedLemon · 12/06/2021 12:44

Adult but utterly, depressingly, unsurprising.

RedLemon · 12/06/2021 12:45

Awful! Not adult😔

FlibbertyGiblets · 12/06/2021 17:40

Another missed opportunity.

LongPauseNoAnswer · 12/06/2021 17:45

I can’t believe there are so many people still supporting this systemic abuse of power and position.

I loathe the church.

PearPickingPorky · 12/06/2021 18:14

Should we ask Bewildnerness to make a Catholic Church adaptation of The Rules of Misogyny?

1st rule of misogyny the priesthood: Women Children are responsible for what men do.

Thelnebriati · 12/06/2021 18:15

Its so much worse than I was expecting.
Institutions with weak safeguarding leave themselves wide open to being infiltrated, used by, and therefore enabling abusers.

Cailleach1 · 12/06/2021 18:29

I think that ideological viewpoint is still held by the Oireachas. In my opinion they are carrying on deliberately making women and children vulnerable to predators. They are calling it 'good' just like they did when they abdicated their responsibility to Irish citizens in a way which has resulted dumps of dead children around the country.

They are hoping to lock any information away until anyone still directly connected to this is dead, thus denying justice. Not in a bygone age. Right now.

Some of these faux progressive political representatives say things like Ireland is the envy of the world. Well, maybe it is. But only for predatory and sadistic men to get away with anything they want. The next 'surprise' of abuses committed against women and children will be because of the environment created by these current Irish Senators and TD's. This time their complicity in real time should be shouted from the rooftops and no way for them to wriggle out of the fact they were made aware of what they are doing. And they decided to still go ahead.

picklemewalnuts · 12/06/2021 18:36

Slight defence of the use of the word 'Minor' rather than child- it may be to emphasise that 17 year olds are unable to consent, not simply small children.

Maybe.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?