Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Elderly parents

Worried about my father

9 replies

Mumoftwo367743 · 28/04/2023 03:34

I can’t believe in posting on here but… I am just so worried about my father.

So recently, he has been repeating himself a lot.. he repeats the same thing over and over again. He is 61 years old turning 62 this year. 

For example today he told me to make an appointment and he kept asking if I made the appointment when I told him that I can’t. He called me again at work and asked if I made the appointment and I told him again that I couldn’t make the appointment. I don’t know if it’s just age related or maybe something else. 

He also has been acting very out of character. He has been arguing a lot when he is not like this and has done things which is not even him. 

Sometimes we’d ask him if he would like some food he would say no I’m fine I’m not hungry then later he would say why didn’t you make me food? And we are all confused because he already has said he isn’t hungry. 

Do you think this could be age related or possibly a dementia/Alzheimer’s.

OP posts:
lifechanginglemoncake · 28/04/2023 03:44

Could be a number of things but all worth getting checked out by a GP and getting a referral. Could be the start of dementia but there are other things which might cause confusion or forgetfulness or changes in personality.

I would try and attend the appointment with him and take a list of examples with you. Press for a referral if they are reluctant especially as he is relatively young.

lifechanginglemoncake · 28/04/2023 03:45

Also to add (sorry for not saying this first - baby brain). So sorry you're going through this worrying time. I hope it turns out to be something not too sinister. Look after yourself too.

Dintananadinta · 28/04/2023 03:46

Diabetes?

blahblahblah1654 · 28/04/2023 03:47

61 is young, I wouldn't say it's age related for memory to be going. Definitely get a doctors opinion.

alifelessordinary · 28/04/2023 06:20

It could possibly be the start of something. My dad was diagnosed at 65 with dementia, but looking back he was showing signs for a few years before so he would have been early 60s. He had mixed dementia and part of it was vascular, and he tragically died suddenly last year from a heart attack. I know my dad's gp did several tests before sending my dad to the memory clinic, such as b12 and blood tests as several other illnesses can mimic dementia symptoms.

cptartapp · 28/04/2023 06:46

Get him checked out for a UTI first.
If this is negative get him to book in for a memory assessment with the GP. If he refuses this, contact them and explain the situation and ask them to call him in covertly for a 'well man check'. Go with him if possible.
Wise to set up POA if you haven't already done so.
It's a long road. Good luck.

Mumoftwo367743 · 28/04/2023 12:04

He has type 2 diabetes

OP posts:
Mumoftwo367743 · 28/04/2023 12:05

Thank you all

OP posts:
cptartapp · 28/04/2023 16:15

Mumoftwo367743 · 28/04/2023 12:04

He has type 2 diabetes

So more at risk of cardiovascular disease including dementia.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.