My feed

to access all these features

Elderly parents

NHS Continuing Care?

2 replies

hf128219 · 16/05/2013 19:33

My father has advanced dementia and has been in hospital for the last week. He has been having twice daily care at home - free and arranged by Social Services and GP etc.

The hospital says he needs nursing care. I spoke to the social worker today and she said he would still have to pay for the boarding element of the care, but not the nursing or personal element.

From what I have read the NHS should pay 100% of the fees if the need is on health grounds.

The hospital will not discharge him home. The hospital social worker is going to visit him in the next 7 days and then it will be a multi discipline meeting with the consultant etc.

Any advice? I just do not want my mum to be deprived of at least £1500 per month of her money.


OP posts:
WynkenBlynkenandNod · 17/05/2013 19:21

Have a look at the forum on the Alzheimer's Society, there are people on there who have managed to get it but I get the impression it is a minefield .

TheChaoGoesMu · 17/05/2013 19:36

It depends what setting your dad is in, and his needs. This might explain it a bit better. here

I think a charge can be put on your parents property so that the council recoup the costs after your mum dies (sorry that doesn't sound nice). I can't remember exactly how it works, although the social worker should give you that info.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.