My feed

to access all these features

Elderly parents

Lasting power of attorney-confused!

6 replies

Syrupent · 15/04/2013 11:23

My parents have registered lasting power of attorneys so I can act for them financially at a later date if it becomes necessary. However I have no idea how to enact them, presumably a doctor needs to decide if they lack mental capacity at any point? Also my mum wants to write her pin no down somewhere so I can use her card if she no longer can, this doesn't sound right, maybe the bank can issue a card for the attorney? Loads of info out there on how to set the power of attorney up, none on what to do next!!

OP posts:
WynkenBlynkenandNod · 15/04/2013 17:06

I had this worry, though still waiting for a Mum's to be registered. I don't know about the Healt and Welfare one but apparently once the Financial one is registered it can be used right away. Think it's simply a matter of showing it to the Bank etc. They don't have to be assessed for capacity.

Have a feeling that you'd right and the bank issues the Attorney with a separate card. Hopefully someone who has been through the process will be along and can say if this is the case.

whataboutbob · 15/04/2013 18:16

Hi if it registered with the office of the public guardian, as opposed to just filled in and signed by all parties, you can go ahead and start using from now on. With the bank I found it took a few visits, they want the original document not the copies the OPG sends. I don t have a card, just a cheque book. I need to ask them for one.

WynkenBlynkenandNod · 15/04/2013 18:18

Have you asked about online banking access Bob ? That would make life much easier I reckon and am kind of banking on it (excuse the pun)

whataboutbob · 16/04/2013 08:37

That s good idea. The crazy truth is when I first went into the bank I didn t want to present like someone who wanted to get control over their parent s finances. So I was humble and said thank you very much when they offered me a cheque book. But online banking would be useful, I could monitor outgoings and make sure nothing alarming was going on. He s losing touch with the real value of money and thinks anything is an amazing bargain.

Syrupent · 16/04/2013 09:47

Thanks for your replies everyone! Yes it is registered but don't need to use it yet as they are still capable fortunately. I will tell mum not to write down her pin anywhere though! Bob I know what you mean about your relative thinking everything is a bargain- my grandad was the same, replying to all of the too good to be true junk mails that came through the door. Glad there were no emails then.

OP posts:
malovitt · 26/04/2013 14:43

Go into your mum's bank with a copy of the POA, the bank will take a copy of it and will issue you with your own bank card and cheque book for your mum's account. She can still keep her own card and cheque book as well. You must not use your mum's card yourself, as the bank will not refund any theft/discrepancies from your mum's account if they know that someone else, even a child with POA, knows her PIN. (bitter experience)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.