My feed

to access all these features

Elderly parents

carer huge problem

6 replies

snapdragon111 · 26/03/2013 17:03

hi, can anyone offer some advice please. my father has become besotted with his carer(she lives in) he lived alone before this. it seems she has complete control over him and consequently, he is now signing blank cheques left right and centre so money is disappearing (lots of it) and a new car has appeared etc. In the last year she has been on holiday and met a man who she has now married and now also living in the house although he has had to go back and she is now trying to get him back in the country. any ideas pls, it's a nightmare. we of course don't trust her but he won't have a bad word said against her. he is physically not well but mentally fine apart from very difficult. she has threatened over the past couple of years that she would sue us if we tried to sack her and she is going to get the house when he dies amongst other stuff. there are 5 siblings in total so we can all pitch in. thanks

OP posts:
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie · 27/03/2013 10:20

Social services. You need to contact them asap....your Dad is vulnerable and they will help.

snapdragon111 · 27/03/2013 11:26

thank you, worried they will be overloaded with more vulnerable/younger people,know how short staffed they are but will definitely call them now.

OP posts:
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie · 27/03/2013 12:46

Good stuff...come back when you've spoken to them and tell us what they say. I know that they are pretty good in cases like this...where someone is at risk of financial abuse. xx

whataboutbob · 27/03/2013 13:24

Good luck, totally agree with NMZD, your Dad is a vulnerable adult. I hope social services are helpful. You may also want to get legal advice. If you don't want to spend money on a solicitor straight off, your local Citizen's Advice Bureau should be able to give you some preliminary advice. Iwas going to say get power of attorney sorted soon, but that's probably not the solution (for now anyway) as POA takes months to get registered and in itself would not stop your Dad signing cheques. It just adds you, or other responsible adults, as a person who can handle his affairs (as well as himself until he can no longer do so).

Theas18 · 28/03/2013 16:19

This is abuse. Contact your soc services and say " adult safeguarding" . You can bet he's changed his will too, and if he's actually in possession of his faculties there isn't anything you can do about it.

Needmoresleep · 29/03/2013 10:51
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.