My feed

to access all these features

Elderly parents

Dad doesn't want to move due to his local hospital...

5 replies

Dizzydummy · 02/03/2013 23:46

I would love Dad to move nearer to me now his health is failing but he has been attending consultants appointments for cancer at his local hospital for years and he is reluctant to make a move which would mean he couldn't attend the same hospital. Is it possible to still go to the same hospital even if you move area?

OP posts:
Oodsigma · 03/03/2013 02:41

Yea though might depend on the hospital/ongoing treatment.

Dizzydummy · 03/03/2013 12:27

Probably best if I ring the hospital and see what they say in the first instance I suppose.

OP posts:
amillionyears · 03/03/2013 12:43

It has always struck me as odd that more elderly people dont take notice of what their new local hospital is like if they are thinking of moving.
Some parents are careful where they move to as regards schools, but most elderly people do not think about or find out what their new hospital might be like.
fwiw, I wouldn't have thought it mattered where he was travelling from, but I could be wrong.

Dizzydummy · 03/03/2013 14:25

amillionyears quite agree with you, unfortunately our local hospital is dire and the one he is with at the moment is fantastic, they have knowledge of his fairly complicated cancer history and he feels comfortable with the consultants that he has been seeing for years, due to his operations he has problems communicating verbally too which makes him averse to dealing with new doctors. so if he can move here and still go to that hospital it would be great.

OP posts:
CMOTDibbler · 03/03/2013 17:42

Its hard to keep going to the same hospital because your LA won't have a contract with his hospital. But, if he has a complicated history, it may be OK - the consultant is your friend in this as if they say they would like to keep him as a patient it all seems to get sorted out most of the time

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.