My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

On the Mumsnet Donor Conception forum, you can discuss sperm and egg donation with people in the same situation.

Donor conception

New to this...would love to connect with others

0 replies

AuburnAmbition · 10/01/2022 19:00

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and would love to connect with other women who have gone or are going through a similar process.
My situation in a nutshell: I am a recently turned 34 year old woman, straight and single. I am a professional and rent a beautiful apartment by the sea. Nearly 6 months ago, my heart was broken by the man who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with.
I have for a long time wanted to be a mother and feel now I have reached the age where I need to take action rather than just thinking about it and hoping 'the one' will walk into my life.
This year, I will be starting the process of finding a man to have a platonic elective co-parent arrangement with. I would like to explore this route before sperm donation as I have always wanted an active father in my future children's lives and for them to know who their dad is, as I feel it's important.
I also will be having a fertility check at a local clinic to get an overview over how long I have to conceive naturally. Ideally, I am looking to have a child in about 4 years if I am able to (around age 38) to allow me to further develop in my career and earn a higher salary. However, I feel it's imperative to get the wheels in motion now to allow plenty of time to get to know a potential co-parent and get any legalities agreed upon. Also, if I am unable to find a suitable co-parent then it will also give me time to fully explore plan b which is the sperm donor option, however, I hope to not have to go down this route if I can help it.
Obviously, this has been an emotional decision for me to make and I fully expect the journey to be an emotional and not an easy one. I don't know any men personally who I could co-parent with, so will need to look into the various sites which connect people like me who want to co-parent with another on a platonic basis but who want to play a very active role in the child's life. I am certainly not looking for romance; my priority is to have a child rather than a romantic partner.
I would love to speak with anyone who has been through or going through the same situation as me who could give me any guidance and offer support as I embark down this road. I do feel nervous and a little scared, as I didn't expect to be in this situation, so if anyone can reach out to me I would love to hear from you!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.