My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

On the Mumsnet Donor Conception forum, you can discuss sperm and egg donation with people in the same situation.

Donor conception

Transvaginal ultrasound in a couple of weeks. Fertility testing....surprisingly nervous

8 replies

OreoCheeseCake · 11/11/2019 14:44

HelloSmile

I have this running in chat, but thought it might make more sense here too.

So my DW and I are wanting to increase our family (already have a teenager from previous relationship) and I've been trying to get myself pregnancy ready with diet/supplements and general fitness....mixed success with thatbut just thought at 35, I should try to increase my chances wherever I can.

Anyway, we're going to start with at home insemination, but I wanted a fertility test beforehand, as this route might be a waste of money if the results aren't good.

We're going to a private clinic and I shall be having the internal scan, followed by blood tests and then a consultation with a consultant to go through the results 🤞🤞

I was just excited when I booked, but now it's getting closer, I'm becoming increasingly nervous. Mainly about the results, but also the scan.

I have actually had a couple before for irregular bleeding and they weren't uncomfortable, but neither were smear tests for me back then, but the last 3 smears I've had, have been almost unbearable, so I'm worried my body has changed over time and so maybe I'll also find this exam painful too. I know it's a different procedure, but still.

Would be great to hear from any of you who have had the same investigations. Would really appreciate hearing any advice and experiences.

TIA

OP posts:
Persipan · 11/11/2019 18:09

I tend to find smears/anything involving a speculum quite uncomfortable, but transvaginal ultrasounds fine. Hope that helps a bit and best of luck!

OreoCheeseCake · 11/11/2019 20:42

Thanks very much @Persipan Smile

OP posts:
Robs20 · 11/11/2019 20:46

I cried my way through the first one. I’ve had around 10 over the last 6 months and honestly they are fine. Make sure they put lots of lube on the probe and tell them if it’s uncomfortable. Good luck!

K10f1 · 17/11/2019 09:12

I also find speculum exams awful (I didn’t used too but they have become painful over time) however the scans are still fine.

cansu · 17/11/2019 09:13

the transvaginal ultrasound was completely painless and nothing like a smear test.

Sabz36 · 13/12/2019 19:58

I found the transvaginal scan a non event. It wasn't painful it felt like something was there but no pain or feelings of discomfort. I was more uncomfortable that I had recently started my period and they was doing the test. But they was professional and probably seen it all

Sunshine1239 · 13/12/2019 20:01

The vaginal scan is nothing - they hardly put it in far and it’s not as thick as a pe is it anything

Non even compared to a smear 😂

IndefatigableMouse · 13/12/2019 20:03

I called it 'dildocam' back when I was having fertility treatment. I can't stand smears and am absolutely fine with transvaginal scans. You'll be fine!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.