My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

On the Mumsnet Donor Conception forum, you can discuss sperm and egg donation with people in the same situation.

Donor conception

Help with iui v ivf decision

13 replies

nicoleclare21 · 28/07/2017 17:53

I'm 32 and single and for personal issues am not and won't enter into a relationship, however I would love to have a child. I haven't been to see a doctor to see if I would be eligible for help on the nhs, as my guess is waiting lists are probably ridiculously long so instead decided to pay to go private, still deciding on which clinic to use in Glasgow so if anyone can provide any personal insight in them then that would be amazing. I'm pretty set on iui with donor sperm (I think) however statistically chances or conceiving are lower than with ivf so ivf is a consideration. I don't to my knowledge have any reason to think there are any problems with my fertility, monthly cycles are regular, I do experience mid cycle spotting which occurs around ovulation apparently it happens to some women and isn't a cause for concern (in my case) it's actually quite handy as I can tell from it when I'm most fertile (ovulation tests confirm it each time, I've been keeping track) Anyway my question is am I better to go for the less invasive iui or would I be better paying more for ivf (I could do 2 cycles of iui for the cost of ivf)

OP posts:
SweetheartTreacleTart · 28/07/2017 18:55

I don't have any tips or advice about iui or ivf, but I wanted to wish you good luck in the process. I am using a donor so can somewhat relate. If you don't get replies in this section maybe try the infertility section as many people over there have used IVF and IUI no doubt, so may be able to advise.

nicoleclare21 · 28/07/2017 21:14

Thank you for your advice @SweetheartTreacleTart best of luck to you also. ☺

OP posts:
Greaterthanthesumoftheparts · 28/07/2017 21:18

We've had 3 IUI (not donor eggs) due to unexplained infertility. I got pregnant twice, although lost both. We have had further tests, no explainable reason why I can't either get pregnant naturally or stay pregnant so we will go with three more IUI to see if we can make it stick.

To be honesty IVF is way more expensive and if there is no reason you can't actually get pregnant, probably won't have a better outcome than IUI. My advice would be try the IUI, then follow up with IVF of pregnancy doesn't appear possible.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts · 28/07/2017 21:19

Sorry,not donor sperm even

nicoleclare21 · 28/07/2017 22:25

@Greaterthanthesumoftheparts it is a lot more expensive which is why IUI appeals though of course the cost would be more than worthwhile if it was successful. I think I will try IUI and see how things go, fingers and toes will all be crossed.
Wishing you the very best of luck.

OP posts:
TreasureInMyTummy · 30/07/2017 18:41

Good luck Nicole I'm single and 34. I don't think you would get help on NHS - at least not in England. I had two rounds of non medicated iui and I'm now six months pregnant. No known fertility problems. I had said to myself to do three gos and then move to ivf.
Clinics vary but all I had to do was call when my period started to confirm I would be trying that month, then started peeing on sticks approx 10 days after 1st day of period 2/3 times a day. The day I showed positive on pee stick I called clinic and went in next day. For me this was great and very unobtrusive- I know some clinics make you come in for scans before iui to check timing right and some women prefer this.
If you are thinking of iui / peeing on stick to identify ovulation I would reccommend practising for a few months before hand. I did for five months before and it let me see how dark my line goes on the stick and how many days post period I ovulated. ( you can buy a bunch cheap on Amazon) good luck xx

TreasureInMyTummy · 30/07/2017 18:43

Oh other thing I would recommend is to go along to an open evening ( London women's clinic do them but I'm sure others do too) you can hear a bit more about both options and with LWC they gave a voucher for money off for blood tests and scan to check your fertility - might help with decision xx

nicoleclare21 · 30/07/2017 23:22

@TreasureInMyTummy Congratulations on your pregnancy! I have heard of nhs helping up here in Scotland but to be honest I want to have a child sooner rather than later so decided to just go private. I aim to go for first iui in February. I already keep track of my periods and have been using clearblue ovulation tests (they looked like the easiest to use!) and recording when I ovulate. My diary has become a colour coordinated fertility tracker its ridiculous but its been good to see how regular my cycles are. I have also given myself a limit of 3 tries of iui (my worry is spending too much on iui and getting nowhere I really think I need that limit!) I've also just ordered a couple books to read up on everything and just make sure I am as prepared as possible. I've been advised by my chosen clinic to make an appointment at the back end of the year to discuss things.

OP posts:
pickle162 · 01/08/2017 07:17

Hi nicoleclaire
Im on my 2nd iui-just a few days till my test day. I'm 32 and single so doing it with donor spend
From what friends have said from a different MN group thing ivf and iui weren't massively different apart from the obvious cost.
I did medicated iui so didn't need to use pee on a stick for ovulation as this was done by an injection so easier to plan and reduce stress- I was told my clinics result for this was 28%....not sure what ivf would be but nearer to 50%.
Have you had any fertility assessments yet? AMH levels or anything? This gives you an idea of whether egg reserve count is ok or if low and then the consultant would advise you which would be the best option for you.
Best of luck

JigglyTuff · 01/08/2017 07:35

The thing you have to remember about fertility stats is that most women who have fertility treatment have it because they are having problems conceiving naturally. I agree with getting your levels tested so you can see what your fertility is like before you start. And if they're okay, go for IUI. It's not just the cost, it's a lot less invasive. A lot of women react very badly to the ivf drugs.

aleksk · 02/08/2017 11:04

We did IVF. We have regular controls, now. Everything is going well. Nothing is hard for me. I am like every other woman. I am doing everything. I am pretending like nothing happen. But actually, does. We will become the parents. I will be the best mother in the world! I know everyone says that just I am so excited. I would like to tell me your experiences because this is something new for me. How was your pregnancy? Is there something I have to pay attention? All the love for moms and dads.

nicoleclare21 · 02/08/2017 13:09

@pickle162 I haven't had any assessments yet, the clinic advised me to get in touch at the back end of the year as I won't be going for any treatment until the new year. I want to get Xmas and new year out the way as my job is crazy busy at that time. I just really needed to see is iui the better option assuming everything was ok or is it better to just go with ivf (I definitely would prefer iui if it is suitable for me)

OP posts:
nicoleclare21 · 02/08/2017 17:31

Thank you JigglyTuff will find out the end of the year I guess, time too lose a few extra pounds before I go and get myself in the best shape. A friend of mine had ivf and it worked but she said it was very invasive and she would have preferred to go iui but for her it wasn't an option.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.