My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


Opening a savings account during Seperation

14 replies

Knockerefc · 01/08/2018 21:03

I've started Seperation. When can I open a savings account to put some of my wages away for a house deposit?

OP posts:
MissedTheBoatAgain · 02/08/2018 04:14

After the divorce is finalized and settlement agreed or ordered by the Court.

thousandpapercranes · 02/08/2018 09:13

I opened a number of savings accounts for myself and dc during my divorce with no issues. I have been honest about it and declared it fully on Form E. There shouldn’t be any issues in doing so, if you’re upfront about it.

Knockerefc · 02/08/2018 09:42

But my divorce won't be settled for two years. I want to start my life again now and put money to one side as I get paid on a monthly basis.
What does dc stand for by the way?

OP posts:
thousandpapercranes · 02/08/2018 09:56

Dc stands for dear children.

Like I said as long as you’re upfront about it no one will bat an eye lid. Only thing to bare in mind is as long as you’re still married, your savings will be considered a marital assets. Please don’t live frugally to save a deposit, only to hand over 50% to your ex upon settlement.

MissedTheBoatAgain · 02/08/2018 10:00

But my divorce won't be settled for two years

How do you know in advance it will take that long? Or are you using the 2 and 5 year rules for divorce?

Keeptrudging · 02/08/2018 10:02

Would you not be better just withdrawing cash regularly and hiding it under the mattress?

EllenJanesthickerknickers · 02/08/2018 10:04

Keeptrudging I did exactly that! At the 'suggestion' of my divorce lawyer.

thousandpapercranes · 02/08/2018 10:33

Ive used dc’s savings accounts and put all the money there. Again I’ve declared it fully but the money has not been classed as marital. There’s nothing stopping me from withdrawing the funds once my divorce is through.

HalfMyLife · 02/08/2018 15:05

As PPs have said - any savings in your name will be taken into account in a financial settlement - you could save £5k towards a deposit while he's spending everything he earns and you could end up having to give him half.

Is there a reason you're waiting the 2 years? Unreasonable behaviour is an easy route to take, and you'll be able to start saving and planning your future.

Knockerefc · 02/08/2018 19:37

I just assumed divorce dragged on for that long really. What is unreasonable behaviour? I have credit fraud, affairs with a work colleague or a black eye I received which I have picture of but is from 3 years ago to pick from? I think it will take two years because she wants rid of me with minimum and payyouts and I just can't and won't accept that.

OP posts:
EllenJanesthickerknickers · 02/08/2018 23:40

Adultery on its own is enough.

Knockerefc · 03/08/2018 00:40

But she will deny adultery. She is denying now that she has done anything wrong despite me seeing the flirtatious texts they were sending each other. The same bloke I found out 4 years earlier she was having an affair with.

OP posts:
wobytide · 03/08/2018 00:45

So don't use adultery as adultery but use it as unreasonable behaviour then it's irrelevant if she denies it, it's how the behaviour has made you feel that is "unreasonable"

HalfMyLife · 03/08/2018 09:50

Yes - any behaviour which YOU deem to be unreasonable can be used. But, i think that it has to be recent - so if something happened 3/4 years ago and you continued to live with her afterwards, that might be taken to mean you found it reasonable - if that makes sense. You can download the petition form from the courts website - have a look at the questions it asks on there.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.