My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


Private health care through his work - is it lost if we divorce?

5 replies

sunshineandshowers2 · 19/07/2018 18:07

'D' H has a very very good Bupa health care plan through his work. I don't have v good health and it makes a massive difference to my health and I access stuff that isn't available on the NHS.

My question is, would I lose the Bupa plan if we divorced? It's looking like it's going that way but if I lost the Bupa plan it could have a massive impact on my quality of life - has anyone divorced and been awarded the existing Bupa plan? I don't want to be awarded a "similar private health care plan" because if I leave the one we are in currently my MS will be discounted by the next health care plan people as an "pre existing condition"


OP posts:
TwitterQueen1 · 19/07/2018 18:12

IME this does not count as a joint asset.

You don't get 'awarded' the private health plan. It's something your DH opts into at a signficantly reduced rate and he will pay tax on it (usually). Your DH should stipulate who he wants on the plan - I have all my DCs on it though I could have just me. It's up to him.

sunshineandshowers2 · 19/07/2018 18:48

Thanks Twitter

OP posts:
Racecardriver · 19/07/2018 18:54

You need to call up nipa and ask about continuing the plan but as two single plans rather than as a couple or alternatively you could offer to pay him to keep you on the plan if the employer is willing to accept a payment fir the extra cost for instance.

sunshineandshowers2 · 19/07/2018 19:49

Thank you race car

OP posts:
NorthernSpirit · 19/07/2018 22:04

You don’t automatically get to keep or stay in your EH’s plan.

Health care is a benefit. Your EH has to state who is in the plan (they are usually for family members). When you get divorced you are no longer his spouse / a family member.

You will need to take out your own plan.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.