My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.

Divorce/separation

question about spousal maintenance

2 replies

ErnieAndBernie · 21/03/2017 21:49

I know spousal maintenance isn't awarded all that often but I was wondering what the general circumstances need to be in order to be awarded it?
I will be divorcing my husband in the next few months. He is a workaholic and frequently travels with work (I'd say last year he was away 2 nights a week for about 35 weeks of the year) and often works ridiculous hours. We have 2 dc who are 9 and 4. I went part time after dc 1 was born and shortly after dc2 was born we moved abroad (within Europe) and I had to quit my job to support him. I now work from home as a freelancer earning very little in terms of hourly wage, he's on around 90k euros a year plus bonus.
Its highly unlikely my earning potential will go above 25k£ when I come back in a few months. My current employer has said they will take me on as permanent staff and should be able to increase hours to school hours (9-3 or similar).
Would it be likely I could get awarded the maintenance, (at least until the kids are in secondary school and I have a chance to increase my hours) because my earning potential has been affected?

OP posts:
ErnieAndBernie · 21/03/2017 21:50

for what it is worth the main reason we are separating is because he is financially controlling and would never agree to joint finances, I was even forced into debt at one point as he would not agree to top up what we had to pay in childcare fees

OP posts:
usernamealreadytaken · 21/03/2017 21:53

I don't know about awards of spousal maintenance on divorce but I think one of my divorcee friends negotiated it via mediation not the courts. CSA maintenance used to include a parent premium for the parent with care.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.