My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


Amicable split / buying out H from house - do I need solicitor???

7 replies

Sadik · 03/10/2016 21:22

H has moved out, but we're still on terms (still working & running a business together). I'm going to buy him out of family house, I can see we need to be legally separated so that I don't have to pay stamp duty, but trying to figure out whether I need a solicitor.

FWIW we have always run separate accounts, but essentially have equal assets (I have slightly more as a result of two small inheritances, but not significantly).

OP posts:
hermione2016 · 03/10/2016 21:30

Do you plan the divorce? The downsize of not divorcing is tgst if anything happens in the interim period such as signifcant change to finances you could effectively have to renegotiate the separation.

If you want an agreement I would get s solicitor, to ensure its legally water tight.whilst breakups are amciable they can often change if other partners come on the scene.

It should cost too much and worth it for piece of mind.Remember a new will as well.

Sadik · 03/10/2016 21:59

I think to divorce (at least no-fault) we have to have been living apart for 2 years? TBH significant but unequal changes to finances are unlikely, and - fingers crossed - we have a strong incentive to stay on reasonable terms as otherwise we'll both be unemployed.

Definitely need to re-do will, but I think that should be fairly simple, as everything is to dc anyway.

OP posts:
WiseUpJanetWeiss · 04/10/2016 06:58

The conveyancing company that my exH used (our bank's choice) that handled me transferring the asset to him would only deal with me through a solicitor.

Sadik · 04/10/2016 08:27

I'm not sure a conveyancing company is necessarily needed, though? Looking at the land registry, there doesn't seem any barrier to doing it yourself.

OP posts:
WiseUpJanetWeiss · 04/10/2016 21:32

If there's no mortgage you can do it yourself, but in my experience exH's lender would not deal with me without going through a solicitor. That may not be applicable to all lenders though.

NewDayNewBeginnings · 06/10/2016 09:28

I have j just done this exact thing... We did it at the land registry ourselves just last week. Strangely enough we run a business together too. Would love to speak to you in more detail if that's OK?

Sadik · 07/10/2016 18:56

I'll send you a pm NewDay

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.