My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


Tax credits/child benefits

2 replies

tic73 · 13/06/2016 08:49

Going through a divorce and it had come to light that my money controlling husband has been paying a massive overpayment hence our payments stopped a while ago.
I was not aware of this. I'm now embarking on single life with 2 children and worried sick about phoning HMRC incase they say I'm not entitled to anything until payment outstanding is settled. My husband pays off a certain amount per month. My question is will I be penalised for this or will they take my case as a new claim?

OP posts:
penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc · 13/06/2016 15:04

I'm quite sure it'll be classed as a new claim.

checkingthedetails · 13/06/2016 19:49

It's a new claim (I am not an expert, please don't take my word for it, but this is what happened to me).

I had a letter saying that the previous joint claim with my husband had been overpaid by £120. When I called the tax credit people, I was advised that I was only liable for half of this amount. Even when I told them that my husband would never pay his half of the outstanding amount, and that they wouldn't be able to find him easily, I was only required to pay "my" half.

If you tell the tax credit folk about the domestic/financial abuse, they may well be sympathetic.

Good luck, with this and with everything else as well.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.