My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


Housing benefit whilst name already on a mortgage???

2 replies

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife · 13/05/2012 15:35

H and I have been separated for a month now, (massive trust and emotional problems) each of us taking turns to stay at home with DC's, other nights I'm on an air bed on my mum's lounge floor. Youngest DD has just turned 2 and it's breaking my heart being apart from her.
This does not seem fixable, and H comes round to see the DC's on my nights at home and we inveriably end up arguing, sometimes my fault, but I'm so upset and angry. I just can't do this anymore.
I have seen the details of a local house to rent, but would need housing benefit. My name is on the joint mortgage but H pays it all as I'm currently a SAHM with two preschool DD's, did work p/t when DD2 was little but DD3 was a poorly little girl and my DM now has health issues and is not well enough to help look after them.
A lady at CAB says I should be able to get it, will contact local housing dept tomorrow, but has anybody had any personal experience of this. I need to try and sort my life out and start rebuilding it. But how do i start??

OP posts:
Olympia2012 · 13/05/2012 16:06

Does the house you have seen even rent to those on HB? Because most landlords won't due to mortgage insurance issues...

Also, it would surely be easier to stay in the family home ( legally you can) to being up the dc. Your ex needs a Bedsit or something. Easier as you will need to furnish a rented place anyway

Movingout · 13/05/2012 17:09

I think you can get housing benefit if the house is on the market or you are fleeing from domestic abuse. You do not need to tell anybody you are on housing benefit as it gets paid into your bank account. Speak to a housing officer at your local council. Good luck x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.