Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Identity theft risk- what to do?

Sprogonthetyne · 21/07/2022 21:41

My car was broken into, nothing of value stolen but they have got some documents. Most importantly DS's birth certificate, which I had to take to his new school the other day and foolishly left in the glove box. Also a photocopy of his DLA letter and my carers allowance letter, that we use for carers ticket on outings.

We found the two letters down the street on top of a bin, whilst some other stuff, like his blue badge, was shoved in a hedge. The letters had been taken out of there folder a laid out on the bin, so could have been photographed (though could have just been read and discarded as why not just take them if they wanted them). The birth certificate has not been found.

How and to who do I report this, and what do I need to do to prevent identity theft? It don't think police will be interested considering no damage done and nothing of value got take.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Felix125 · 22/07/2022 09:55

Still needs to be reported to the police to log the theft as such. That way if the birth certificate is used in any kind of fraud offence from now, you have a record that it was reported as stolen. Make a note of the crime number given - and you can't be implicated in any subsequent fraud attempts using the certificate.

It will also go to the national fraud office, immigration etc, to prevent it being used for illegal entrants to the UK, false ID's that kind of thing

Not sure if your local registry office can 'cancel' that certificate and issues a new one maybe.

Please
or

Nattalie18 · 22/07/2022 10:11

Definitely report to the police for the exact reasons above poster mentioned

Please
or

Sprogonthetyne · 22/07/2022 10:32

Hello, thanks for the replies. I've filled in an online incident report for my local police force, saying pretty much what I have above (what my force dose for non emergencies), I should get sent a crime number in the next 2 days once it is reviewed.

Anything else I should do? The letters included national insurance and NHS numbers, do I need to tell anyone this info is compromised?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sprogonthetyne · 22/07/2022 10:33

Have also ordered a new birth certificate, but this does not cancel the first.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SwelegantParty · 22/07/2022 10:34

A birth certificate is a public document, anyone can order a copy.

Please
or

Sprogonthetyne · 22/07/2022 10:42

SwelegantParty · 22/07/2022 10:34

A birth certificate is a public document, anyone can order a copy.

I know, I wasn't even asked who I was when I orded a new one, and apparently it's quite commonto have a collection of them for family tree work. I'm more concerned about having that alongside his name, address, nhs number and future national insurance number (issued for DLA), and also my name, address and NI number. As well as just having copies of official letters, as these are often used to 'confirm identity' when applying for stuff.

Non of that info is super sensitive, but all together is a bit concerning 😟

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.