Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

anyone about to start writing a non fiction book?

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 29/12/2020 16:50

I've been faffing about with a book for about 5 years...it's time to get on with it.

I have two large boxes of notes and a LOT of saved images and links in my computer - none of which are in any order. I also have a lot of books with relevant parts in it and I'd like to interview those authors in my book.

I'm an expert in my field, I'm a good communicator, I have a great reputation, all the relevant qualifications and experience, contacts and am good on tv/radio/press. I have been approached by 2 separate publishers and I have an agent.

I am also totally stage struck incase my book turns out to be rubbish and I'll get found out as the imposter that we all know I am...

Anyone in the same boat? Want to do some mutual encouragement?

OP's posts:
Please
or

FlamedToACrisp · 29/12/2020 22:16

Not in the same boat (if only!), but I wish you lots of luck with it.

I would also like to say, before you start writing, think carefully about your strategy. In particular, ensure you're not trying to write one massive encyclopedic book. These tend to be expensive to buy and you need to hold something back for the next book!

I'd suggest it would be better to split it into 3 shorter books, and plan the chapter layouts for all of them together so you don't overlap too much.

Also - probably best to email those links and images to yourself or save onto a memory chip in case of computer probs.

Congratulations! If you have an agent already, you must be doing something right!

Please
or

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 30/12/2020 10:54

Thanks for that - you are right, the reason it's taking so long is because I get bogged down with the actual book proposal.

There is so much to say!

I'll back up the mac, I'm lazy about that. Very lazy. Foolish.

The agent got in touch with me, she heard me on the radio and emailed "have you ever thought of writing a book?" - to which the only correct answer is "yes".

Imposter syndrome is a terrible thing.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Canigotosleepyet · 30/12/2020 12:40

Congratulations! That’s a fantastic start.

The fact that you have so much material and lots to say definitely suggests that you should plan several books - this makes you worth more to an agent and a publisher too - and will open up the potential for developing a relationship with both and securing more support for your writing (financial and otherwise). Hone your proposal first, and look at the big picture, the ‘promise’ and themes before worrying about drilling down into detail. Look at books in your area and outside it that appeal to you and your readership for a sense of what works well plus the likely book length/word count that will appeal.

I work in this area so pm if you have any questions and good luck, it sounds a very exciting prospect!

Please
or

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 30/12/2020 20:35

That's really very helpful, and encouraging, thanks.

I've been reading books which are related but not my field, all sort of science for the masses. Some are great, most are ok. The majority are now filled with post it notes - but, I had a great idea and have commandeered a wall and am putting the scribbled notes from the books in sections to try and find the themes that work.

Cos, at the moment, the book is about 8000000 words. Probably a bit too long.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.