Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Meandering around a shit show

BrightLightsAndSound · 01/10/2018 19:01

So I've just read through my novel in progress and I think I understand why I'm not actually getting anywhere.

I've got a good solid 50K words and I'm enjoying the style/tone and themes.

The reason I'm feeling lacklustre about it though is because I've just got these mental characters wandering around a complete shit show.

The reason it's a shit show is because I'm a big fan of surreal and/or dystopian kind of settings. My problem is I seem to have taken every single "good" idea I've had and crammed into a single story that doesn't actually have a story. My characters are strong I feel, with clear personalities but no goals.

I'm beginning to see that I need to pick just one of the concepts/dystopian ideas and plough ahead with that. But how do I decide which one to work with when I love them all? I'm also struggling to create a strong plot. It's like I'm enjoying building these worlds and characters, writing dialogue and creating an atmosphere but I'm struggling to make the reader give a shit, you know? Any advice/thoughts?

OP's posts:
Please
or

schmalex · 02/10/2018 15:18

I think giving your main character a goal is the key to both the plot and making your reader care about them. Get that clear and make sure they're acting accordingly. I think this is a really common problem by the way.

Please
or

stripyeyes · 02/10/2018 17:57

Google helpingwritersbecomeauthors.

She gives a very easy to read breakdown of how plot and character arc work together to make a novel. Her methods are a very formulaic and won't work for everyone but sounds like it might give you an idea of where to go.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?