Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

First time to Ireland

BluebellsareBlue · 17/07/2022 14:35

Hey everyone,
Looking for a wee bit of advice please. My son is the captain of the Scottish youth fly fishing team. This years international is hosted by the Irish team at Lough Lene, collinstown, West Mead.
The team are getting the bus and ferry together on Sunday 24th July and staying at Bloomfield house and I am flying over to Dublin on the Tuesday, staying at an air B&B in mullingar (looks gorgeous!) comp is the Wednesday and I'm flying him from Dublin Thursday night back to Glasgow.

I have a couple of questions, and I have googled but I'm a bit nervous. Due to a severe (menopause related) driving anxiety I can't hire a car so will need to get a train to get to mullingar. How easy is this going to be? I've used the Trainline app but it doesn't recognise mullingar as a station. Any idea what the best way to do it is?

Also wondering about the weather, it's my first time to Ireland and I'm crazily excited about seeing the countryside and hope to get a few walks in the mullingar area so will have comfy trainers but what kind of weather would be typical for that time of the year? Is it like Scotland, prepare for 4 seasons in one day or should I be planning on floaty summer dresses whilst sitting in a pub with my first Guinness dreamily listening to the beautiful Irish lily of those around me... help a wummin out please Wink

OP's posts:
Please
or

Goneback2school · 17/07/2022 14:54

You will be able to do it by public transport. From Dublin Airport you can get the dublin express into the city centre, ask the driver for the best stop for Connolly train station. From Connolly you will need the Sligo train which stops in Mullingar. Dublin to mullingar should take 1hr 20min. You can try the Rome2Rio app for times etc.

Please
or

BluebellsareBlue · 17/07/2022 20:09

@Goneback2school thank yi so much!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

FlipFlopShopInHawaii · 17/07/2022 22:00

What was the train app you were using? The Irish rail website will give you all options for trains from Dublin to Mullingar, it's very accessible, not sure why it doesn't recognise Mullingar. Best of luck to your DS.

Please
or

mineallmine · 17/07/2022 22:04

Goneback2school · 17/07/2022 14:54

You will be able to do it by public transport. From Dublin Airport you can get the dublin express into the city centre, ask the driver for the best stop for Connolly train station. From Connolly you will need the Sligo train which stops in Mullingar. Dublin to mullingar should take 1hr 20min. You can try the Rome2Rio app for times etc.

Or get the Sligo train from Drumcondra station and avoid having to go into town. The airport bus goes down Drumcondra Road but you'd have to check that it will stop to let you off in Drumcondra.

Please
or

MouseRoar · 17/07/2022 22:09

Google the iarnrod Eireann website for train timetables. The weather could be anything so layers are advisable. The met Eireann website gives fairly reliable ten day forecasts. Best of luck to your son, hope you all have a lovely time

Please
or

Rebecca34 · 17/07/2022 22:17

The trainline is a UK website, I am pretty sure it doesn't work in the republic. You can try using google maps for public transport options.

The weather here is def cooler than in the (south of the) UK, although I don't know about Scotland, but you can check the weather closer to the time.

Tomorrow is meant to be 30 degrees in Dublin, 40 in London so a big difference.

Please
or

SolasAnla · 17/07/2022 22:19

Try this

www.transportforireland.ie/

You could take a 41 to drumcondra as its on the same the train line.

www.met.ie/weather-forecast/mullingar-westmeath#forecasts

Plan outfits for 3 seasons as snow is not expected, but do it in light layers.

Please
or

AnnieJ1985 · 17/07/2022 22:27

If you get the airport bus to Bus Aras, that's the central bus station in middle of Dublin. Connelly train station is just around the corner, so it is very easy to get to on foot. Trains to mullingar are fairly regular. There is no train or tram at airport, so it is bus or taxi into city.

Weather here is similar to Scotland, Mullingar is Midlands so can be warmer than coastal areas. Probably play it safe, if you have space bring something warm and a rain jacket just in case.

Please
or

AnnieJ1985 · 17/07/2022 22:31

*Connolly

Please
or

MayEye · 17/07/2022 22:44

There are buses from the airport to Mullingar - if the times work it might be more straightforward than getting to the city centre and then getting a train. Train is a good option though from Connolly station.

Is your Airbnb in the town or near Bloomfield hotel because that hotel is a bit out of town (about 5km) ? It’s a smallish town but there are some nice places to eat/ pubs etc and lovely walks outside of the town

Weather is anybody's guess 😂 hope
you enjoy your stay

Please
or

NoToLandfill · 17/07/2022 22:46

Bring your summer dress. And a waterproof coat! Weather can be anything really. But unlikely to be the sun splitting the stones

Please
or

ThirtyThreeTrees · 17/07/2022 23:20

Hi,

It's Meath, not Mead, not being an ass just letting you know in case the spelling is impacting your searches online.

The most direct way to get to Mullingar from Dublin Airport is by bus. It leaves from zone 13 in the airport. Use Expressway.ie to check if the times work for you. €16 single but you can get a return ticket too. Should take a little over an hour and a half.

If you want to take the train instead, you will need to get a bus to the city centre. Dublin Express is probably the handiest, get it to Custom House Quaty which is closest to Connolly station. Approx €7 one way.

Then take the Dublin to Sligo train from Dublin Connolly Station and it will stop in Mullingar. Use irishrail.ie for times and booking.

Hope this helps.

Also, weather is 4 seasons in one day. You'll need sunglasses & an umbrella.

Guinness is a truly acquired taste!!! If you don't like it, ask them to add black currant (deemed as sacrilege by some, necessary by others!)

Please
or

Alsonification · 17/07/2022 23:33

Seems like you have all of the information above but just to let you know, I actually live in Mullingar so any emergencies don’t be afraid to message me.

Please
or

AnnieJ1985 · 18/07/2022 07:00

Bus from airport straight to Mullingar makes a lot more sense, I didn't think of that! Have a good trip OP!

Please
or

BluebellsareBlue · 18/07/2022 12:48

Thank you all so very very much for all your help. I'll download the proper train app, you're right it's the uk one I was using (doh!). Apologies for putting county mead, I think my phone autocorrected it and I didn't check!!

I think I'll def have to get a taxi to lough lene each day.

I'm staying in the centre of mullingar and @Alsonification thank you so so much!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Alsonification · 18/07/2022 14:17

@BluebellsareBlue no problem at all. I live near Tesco, only a few mins walk from the town. Do message if you need any help. Best of luck to your ds.

Collinstown is about 20 mins or so drive away.

Please
or

Alsonification · 18/07/2022 14:20

The train & the bus both come into the train station which is at one end of the town so once you arrive there, walk up towards the traffic lights on the bridge & you’re in the town. Bus also stops in the town & outside the hospital though that’s a bit of a distance away so if on the bus you either get off on castle street (centre of town) or at the train station.

Please
or

Garman · 18/07/2022 14:22

It's Westmeath, Meath is an entirely different county.

Please
or

Deadringer · 18/07/2022 14:37

I am Irish and in my 50s and I only learned today that Meath and Westmeath are separate counties. 😳i suppose I must have learned it in school, but it didn't stick.

Please
or

LadyEloise1 · 18/07/2022 15:49

Deadringer · 18/07/2022 14:37

I am Irish and in my 50s and I only learned today that Meath and Westmeath are separate counties. 😳i suppose I must have learned it in school, but it didn't stick.

Ah here @Deadringer 😂
Did you not have those maps that you had to put the names of the counties in ?
A bit of Meath touches the sea.

Please
or

Deadringer · 18/07/2022 16:34

I must have banished it from my memory LadyEloise1
I will say in my defence though that i have aphantasia, I can't picture things in my head and can never remember where things go on a map. I also can't follow instructions if I am driving anywhere, so if someone says to me you know the left turn after the church, it means nothing to me until I actually see it irl. Anyway don't want to derail the thread, hope you have a lovely stay in Mullingar op, and good luck to your ds.

Please
or

Alsonification · 18/07/2022 22:31

Alsonification · 18/07/2022 14:20

The train & the bus both come into the train station which is at one end of the town so once you arrive there, walk up towards the traffic lights on the bridge & you’re in the town. Bus also stops in the town & outside the hospital though that’s a bit of a distance away so if on the bus you either get off on castle street (centre of town) or at the train station.

My apologies, the airport bus doesn’t go to the train station I don’t think. But it stops at two places in the town, one is Castle Street which is in the middle of the town and one is Austin Friars Street which is at the opposite end of the town from the train station. Both of the stops are perfect if you’re staying in the town as the town is not huge.

Please
or

BluebellsareBlue · 19/07/2022 21:20

Thanks Alison. DP has booked the air B and B and apparently a taxi tank is right outside of it so getting to lough lene should be ok

OP's posts:
Please
or

BluebellsareBlue · 20/07/2022 21:17

@Alsonification finally got the name , it's an air B and B in dominick st. Looks amazing

OP's posts:
Please
or

Alsonification · 21/07/2022 15:35

Oh right on the main street. And yes a taxi rank outside. That’s the same end as the train station too. If you get the bus to castle street from the airport, then when u get off walk towards McDonalds which is at the traffic lights(you don’t need to cross over to McDonald’s just go in that direction) then take a right & just keep walking straight. You’ll cross a road where you’ll see the cathedral at the end of the street. Once you’ve crossed that road you’re on Dominick street.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.