My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for discussing cots and beds. We've spent weeks researching and testing newborn beds in real homes with real families.

Cots and beds

Cotbed with side that slides underneath

8 replies

Kfs88 · 14/01/2024 03:10

Help! My friend seems to have the perfect cotbed for her toddler. It's cotbed size but has a side that slides down and underneath the bed itself within a second so her toddler can use it during the day but that they can pull up the side at night so she can't get out. This would be ideal for me but she has no clue on the name or brand of cot. Does anyone know what this may be called or how to seach for one? I've tried every Google combo I can think of but it just brings up sides that slide down part way so you don't have to strain your back so much, rather than one that slides all the way under?
Thanks in advance!!!

OP posts:
MrsTerryPratchett · 14/01/2024 03:12

I wouldn't buy or use a sliding side cot bed. They aren't really safe. Is hers very old? Might want to check it.

LucyInTheParkWithDragons · 14/01/2024 06:11

I thought these had been banned as unsafe!

InTheRainOnATrain · 14/01/2024 06:33

Is the cot really old, ie a family heirloom? I didn’t think those mechanisms were around any more as they’re not safe. The US banned them in 2011. Also what an unnecessary product, just keep them in the cot until ready for a bed.

Kfs88 · 14/01/2024 13:24

Sorry maybe I'm on the wrong mumsnet but they've only been banned in the US, I'm in the UK where they aren't banned but they have more safety standards to meet.
Also what's unnecessary for one is necessary for another.

OP posts:
ronoi · 14/01/2024 13:46

Honestly, what does she want her child to be able to use it for during the day that needs the side removed? A clear distinction between sleep and play is key for good sleep.

Marblessolveeverything · 14/01/2024 13:51

As others have said they are banned, they were not available in any nursery store 17 years ago in Ireland due to the dangers.

Due to the ease of being able to buy from anywhere in the world is unfortunately parents are still buying them and other unsafe items.

InTheRainOnATrain · 14/01/2024 14:16

Kfs88 · 14/01/2024 13:24

Sorry maybe I'm on the wrong mumsnet but they've only been banned in the US, I'm in the UK where they aren't banned but they have more safety standards to meet.
Also what's unnecessary for one is necessary for another.

Just because the UK hasn’t explicitly banned them doesn’t mean they’re commonly found on sale. I referenced the US as proof of how dangerous they’re considered- if a western country with half decent safety standards bans something you can bet it’s for good reason. Canada has also banned them. I’ve bought cots in the UK in 2017 and 2021, and you just don’t see these models in the big shops like Ikea, John Lewis, Mamas & Papas. I slept in one though! It was my dad’s and aunt’s in the 60s then the lead paint sanded off for me and then my cousins to use in the 80s/90s 😬 I declined to use it for my own kids though, and insisted on a travel cot at my mum’s rather than having it brought out of my aunt’s attic! So I’m guessing that your friend is probably using a family heirloom.

Mumoftwo1312 · 14/01/2024 14:19

You can use a travel cot on the floor with a side that zips off to turn it into playpen. They're safer. We have one that dd used only in the daytime as a playpen, but it can be used for sleeping too

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.