My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for discussing cots and beds. We've spent weeks researching and testing newborn beds in real homes with real families.

Cots and beds

Moving shortly after birth...

5 replies

blahblah234432p2 · 06/12/2023 14:26

Hello!

So I am around 7.5 months pregnant and just had an offer accepted on a house. At present, we live in a small flat with extremely limited space. Almost little space next to my bed to put a baby (hence moving).

I suspect, we will move a couple of weeks or so after birth. I am however wondering what to buy, as obviously in the long term I would need a cot of some kind. So, I assume a moses basket may be fine to start off with?

I am unsure exactly why people choose a moses basket over anything else anyway. I could get a small one for the interim, does anyone else have a suggestion?

I also have a cat and I am also so wary of the cat getting the basket. This would be ok in bigger equipment but in small thing like a moses basket it would be way easier to for them to get into at night.

Any thoughts/advice welcome?

OP posts:
Porridgeislife · 06/12/2023 14:30

Don’t bother with a Moses basket as most babies outgrow them within 6 weeks or less.

A “Next to Me” crib is your best bet - they can be folded down easily when you move. Ours lasted until 6 months, most people will get 4-6 months out of them. Chicco, Tutti Bambini, Snuzpod are amongst the most popular brands. They don’t actually have to go next to your bed! We never put the side down on ours and used it as a normal crib.

Our Tutti Bambini crib came with caster wheels so it was good to wheel between bedroom and living room during the day which might be good in your flat.

WildCherryBlossom · 06/12/2023 14:31

I had a Moses basket with a cat net over it. The basket was on a stand next to my bed. The cat did try it out before the baby was born but never once the baby arrived and after a short time I stopped using the net (one extra thing to wrestle with several times a night for those constant feeding early days).

What I liked about the Moses basket was that I could put baby to sleep in the basket on the living room floor for day time naps or in the early evening and then move it to my bedside at night when I went to bed (in the early days I didn't like to take my eyes off baby for too long - particularly the first)

TheBirdintheCave · 06/12/2023 14:33

Hello! I have lived part of this experience. We moved into our new home on Christmas Eve 2020 and our son was exactly one month old 😅

We just used a moses basket when he was small and bought a large cot three months later when we had his room set up for him to move into when he was ready.

I'm not sure what to suggest re cat though as we don't have one.

blahblah234432p2 · 06/12/2023 14:58

Yeah, I think will be less than 6 weeks before we move. Not sure a Snuzpod etc will fit. Can get a moses basket off facebook and get a new mattress for £10. That was my thought process anyway.

OP posts:
OhpoorMe · 06/12/2023 15:27

blahblah234432p2 · 06/12/2023 14:58

Yeah, I think will be less than 6 weeks before we move. Not sure a Snuzpod etc will fit. Can get a moses basket off facebook and get a new mattress for £10. That was my thought process anyway.

Snoozepods are not safe sleeping for a newborn. Suggest you look on the Lullaby Trust for a solution which works with your space and is safe for baby

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.