My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Cost of Living forum to discuss budgeting and energy saving with other users.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Cost of living

Dehumidifier

35 replies

noideabutstilltrying · 24/10/2022 10:23

Hi, like every one at the moment I am holding off heating the house for as long as possible

My house is very old and single glazed rental. Been told they have no intention of ever replacing the windows.

The house is becoming damp.

Could I have recommendations on a lower running cost dehumidifier or other ways of keeping the house 'dry'

OP posts:
GasPanic · 02/11/2023 16:13

Another vote for Meaco. I have ABC 12l. It's a quality piece of kit.

Meaco say power consumption is 160W or 0.16 of a unit per hour in electricity (they do state this is at 27C and 60% RH), so at the current price cap that is 0.16*27p = 4.3p per hour.

Bear in mind a lot of the power consumption is pumped out as heat, so it is not completely wasted - it heats your house slightly as well as dehumidifying !

If you have a real humidity issue or big house it might be worth going for something larger.

marshmallowfinder · 02/11/2023 16:36

pastabakeonaplate · 02/11/2022 16:32

Do you have any of the sachets from shoe boxes? They will soak some of it up.

Are you serious? They're absolutely tiny and will absorb nothing! I'm pouring away about 2 litres of water a day from dehumidifying my flat. The sachets might absorb half a teaspoon?🤣

GasPanic · 02/11/2023 17:01

Does give you an excuse to buy a truly massive amount of shoes though.

caffelattetogo · 02/11/2023 17:02

Meaco are good. Usually cheaper on Black Friday.

myusernamewastakenbyme · 20/11/2023 16:52

I keep reading about dehumidifiers....how do i know if i need one?
I live in a Victorian terrace house....no damp as far as i know and no mould anywhere.

marshmallowfinder · 20/11/2023 17:30

I live in a Victorian terrace house....no damp as far as i know and no mould anywhere.

Do you dry washing indoors? Do you ventilate regularly? Do you have an extractor fan in kitchen and bathroom? This will help determine if you need one, but to be honest, I have had one in every house I've owned just because we have a damp atmosphere in the UK and they are a really good idea in general to keep your house in good condition. You won't regret it!

GasPanic · 21/11/2023 15:16

You can buy one of those humidity/temperature meters. They are normally less than £10 from somewhere like amazon. I use the thermapro ones.

Generally I think most people believe it should be below 60% but personally I don't find 70% too bad.

myusernamewastakenbyme · 23/11/2023 15:14

@marshmallowfinder yes i do dry washing indoors and have no ventilation in bathroom or kitchen...although i do open window after showering etc....i guess i could do with one then....next question do i have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent one?

marshmallowfinder · 23/11/2023 16:26

myusernamewastakenbyme · 23/11/2023 15:14

@marshmallowfinder yes i do dry washing indoors and have no ventilation in bathroom or kitchen...although i do open window after showering etc....i guess i could do with one then....next question do i have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent one?

Well, I'd say definitely get a good one! Buy cheap, buy twice as they say. It will last you years and honestly be worth every penny. Meaco is an excellent brand.

JobMatch3000 · 23/11/2023 22:28

I bought my 12L Meaco pre-loved from Gumtree.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.