Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Not allowed vaccine at GP surgery?

12 replies

Caughtupinsomething · 03/11/2022 16:16

Is it true that some people get invited to their GP surgery for a covid vaccine and others don't? What is the criteria to differentiate? My friend has been told he isn't eligible to have it at the GP surgery as they haven't invited him, and would have to go to a health popup hut or similar, with NHS direct sending the invite. It seems alittle strange.

OP posts:
Please
or

Haveitheright · 03/11/2022 21:18

Maybe they have a limited amount of vaccine so are only inviting the most vulnerable?
Our surgery booked the over 75 age range first before opening bookings for the other priority groups but they aren’t able to do everyone due to the delivery of vaccine, the availability of staff/appointments and the fact they still need to see other patients. Is your friend definitely eligible and due for it? They can check if they can book here
www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Please
or

DeeofDenmark · 03/11/2022 21:57

The only people I know who have been invited have had mobility issues, does your friend have a problem getting to the vaccine hub?

Please
or

Kite22 · 03/11/2022 22:22

I've had 3 so far and have my 4th booked.

3 and 4 are at a local medical centre
2 was at my GP
1 was at a different medical centre

I'm not sure what the issue is for your friend?
I'm working on the assumption the local Health professionals have planned the most efficient way to get all the vaccinations out to the highest number of people as quickly and efficiently as possible whilst still also trying to deliver normal GP services. I am happy to go to any building where they are doing the vaccinations.

Please
or

oviraptor21 · 03/11/2022 23:30

We just book ours online at a pharmacy or GP hub centre. Is that a problem for hour friend?

Please
or

Ilovetocrochet · 03/11/2022 23:31

Not all GP surgeries are offering the Covid vaccinations, it’s up to them to do them if they want to. My doctor are offering the Covid vaccinations to their patients when they have the flu vaccine, if someone wants it separately or has already had the flu jab elsewhere, they will not do the Covid one. It was all down to staffing resources and finances, it was cheaper and more efficient to invite patients in once on a number of Saturdays as does not affect the day to day running of the practice.

My sisters GP chose not to do the Covid vaccinations so she was invited by the NHS to go to one of the centres. She had to go to a pharmacy for her flu jab.

Please
or

DahliaMacNamara · 06/11/2022 13:40

Mine is offering Covid jabs, but only on specific dates. If you didn't want to wait at least a full month after becoming eligible, which I didn't, the nearest vaccination centre was 15 miles away. I was able to book the flu jab separately, in fact I had to, because the vaccination centre I went to doesn't offer flu jabs.

Please
or

SnowyMouse · 16/11/2022 12:45

I was originally invited by the NHS general texts, then about a month later my GP invited me.

Please
or

WhatWouldHopperDo · 16/11/2022 12:54

Not all practices are vaccinating - they are commissioned to vaccinate as a PCN (primary Care Network) - groups of practices. Some have a single vaccine hub per PCN and some are doing it at multiple GP sites depending on room space.

Please
or

EBearhug · 16/11/2022 13:01

I don't think our GP was doing covid - I had my flu jab at the GP, and they said that our area had just had a big delivery of covid vaccine, so i could expect to be called soon. They sent me a text within a week to say I could now book my covid jab, but that had to be at the town centre hub (or another hub, if more convenient.) They've also done flu jabs in a central hub before.

They seem fairly organised about mass vaccination round here, but it probably helps I am close to the town centre. They seem to coordinate with the GPs, even if the GPs aren't doing it.

Please
or

MarshaMelrose · 16/11/2022 13:05

I found it easier to get the vaccine than it was to get the flu jab. Go on the nhs website. There are loads of places doing them, both bookable and walk in. I don't live in a big metropolis.

Please
or

Splodgerbodgerbadger · 17/11/2022 16:48

Ours were doing over 65 only but they just had a drop in clinic this afternoon for the over 50’s and clinically vulnerable so I’ve had mine today, so much easier as I don’t drive and the nearest hub is 20 miles away. I was holding off hoping they would do it at the GP in time.

Please
or

Sidge · 17/11/2022 16:58

I work in a GP surgery. We are no longer doing Covid vaccines as we’re not commissioned to do them any longer.

We did the first three lots as a collective across our PCN (primary care network) which meant we worked together out of the largest surgery to offer Covid clinics.

Now our PCN is no longer able to do them so our patients have to travel to those sites that HAVE been commissioned, which might be pharmacies, hubs and regional centres.

Different areas work in different ways depending on how they’ve been commissioned to deliver the autumn booster programme.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?