Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Is there any point isolating?

8 replies

Chailatteplease · 20/10/2022 09:03

Both DC have covid for the first time. I had it back in march, triple jabbed.
I’m home alone with them at the moment so have been taking precautions not to catch it (I have trouble fighting off viruses, fevers usually end up in A&E trips). But I have cold symptoms and have tested negative 2 days in a row. I realise I might turn positive yet, but if I don’t and it’s just a regular cold, is there any point continuing precautions? Can you still catch covid if you have a regular cold?
None of us are leaving the house btw.

OP posts:
Please
or

mast0650 · 20/10/2022 09:16

Yes you can catch Covid if you have a cold!

I currently have Covid and am not sharing bedroom with DH and not having physical contact, as long as I am testing positive, but otherwise not worrying about isolating too much. He also has a bit of a cold at the moment (so not sharing a bed makes sleeping easier for both of us!). I'm working online and not seeing people, but he is still going to shops and seeing people a little, testing occasionally.

However, he did have Covid relatively recently in July. If it was longer ago we might be a bit more careful with him.

Please
or

mast0650 · 20/10/2022 09:17

Given you sound quite vulnerable I would definitely be careful!

Please
or

Chailatteplease · 20/10/2022 09:23

Thanks both! I’ll carry on taking precautions then, wasn’t sure whether you’re still able to catch things if you’re immune system is already fighting something off.

OP posts:
Please
or

AnguaResurgam · 20/10/2022 09:26

wasn’t sure whether you’re still able to catch things if you’re immune system is already fighting something off

Yes you definitely can have more than one infectious disease simultaneously/overlapping

Please
or

RascafríaMom · 20/10/2022 22:30

I would take precautions unless there is no way to avoid it like living in a tiny living space where others in the home can't isolate or are too young to isolate.

Even if you get it and don't have huge problems, i think they are saying like 15% of women get long COVID. I am like three, almost four weeks out from when i first tested positive, and I still have COVID cough and COVID wrecked all my sleep patterns.

(And my SO who couldn't isolate effectively in a small apartment with a toddler had a out a five day lag on us after we came down with it.)

Please
or

reigatecastle · 21/10/2022 12:13

15% of women get long COVID. I am like three, almost four weeks out from when i first tested positive, and I still have COVID cough and COVID wrecked all my sleep patterns

That is a massive number if true. But 3-4 weeks isn't long covid - any can last weeks and it's not unusual to feel grotty for weeks after a virus either. I think you'd have to be at least two months out before you could start talking about "long covid". I didn't even know it was still a thing in vaccinated individuals catching omnicron.

On the isolating, my DH had it and I didn't bother to keep away from him. Unless you have a massive house, I don't see how you can really avoid each other (he wasn't bedridden, just feeling out of sorts).

Please
or

reigatecastle · 21/10/2022 12:14

any cough can last weeks

Please
or

RascafríaMom · 21/10/2022 16:59

The Guardian and the World Health Organization have been documenting the effects of Long Covid and the percentages are high.

And yeah, long cough isnt necessarily long covid but still is hugely annoying.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?