Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Caught Covid-19 twice in same office in 4mths

4 replies

CelesteM · 15/10/2022 03:30

Hi,
I recently returned to full time work earlier this year after working part time mostly from home during covid lockdowns since 2020. I currently work full time on site in a large open plan office with 100 plus workers where it is discouraged to wfh. I contracted Covid-19 from an office outbreak earlier this year, now 4 months later I’ve tested positive again! I was contacted by a colleague that they also tested positive, so yes most likely from working in this office.

I’m now recovering at home and really reluctant to return to my office full time. Is this common in today’s workplace? Many of my colleagues have contracted Covid-19 this year, but I think I’m the first to get it twice in such a short time frame! My doctor is encouraging me to wfh part of the week. My health really suffered from the first infection and now I’m worried for my long term health! I’m also mum to two teens and recently single so it is a struggle when I get sick as I haven’t any support. Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

BCBird · 15/10/2022 05:07

I can totally understand your reluctance. No.one is even considering Covid anymore-shocking.i am one of two people in a staff of 120 plus who wears a mask. The annoying thing is that it is a bit of a free for all now. Are there any adjustments that could be made for you? Are you in a union? If this is something that is having a negative effect on you emotional and physical well being perhaps something can be done? What about HR? Thinking of you. Sending you a handhold.

Please
or

Walkden · 15/10/2022 05:47

This is the reality of living with it. Anyone who works in healthcare or schools is probably familiar with people who have had three infections at least and probably a few infected twice in a month.

We can't really do much in these environments other than accept that we will be infected over and over again, and hope that any long term effects are also ' mild'.

Are you even sure you caught it at work and not from your teens?

Please
or

CelesteM · 15/10/2022 05:47

Thank you! Yes it really is a free for all now! I think the only solution is to find another job that will allow part of the week work from home. My doctor told me today that I could be reinfected after 4 weeks with the new variants. I’m obviously the unluckily ones!

OP posts:
Please
or

CelesteM · 15/10/2022 07:45

Hi, thanks for your reply! No my teens have tested negative twice now and have no symptoms. They had covid earlier this year, but didn’t infect me. My office has had multiple cases through May-July and now 3 of my colleagues have it as of this afternoon. I may have picked it up elsewhere, but they all tested positive the same week as myself. The building is very poorly ventilated and we all sit close together and have meetings in small rooms. Some people wfh, but unfortunately my role is best suited in the workplace. It is annoying, but maybe this is just how things will be from now on. Hopefully symptoms get milder as time goes on!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?