Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

4 month baby with Covid

23 replies

DeeDee3210 · 07/10/2022 08:42

Hello everyone.
my 3 year old son goes to Nursery 3 hours for 5 days so he is always bringing back something from there. Few weeks ago it was a cold and baby suffered with it (not covid)

Now we have all got Covid, and baby starting to show symptoms yesterday. Cough with like a bark, crackling sound. Snotty and running eyes plus tired.

I feel really bad for him, as Covid has wiped me out completely and I can’t imagine him having to suffer like me. plus I am scared of anything serious happening to him from it. And also scared of him catching it again.

I also feel really guilty as we chose to keep elder one out of nursery until now due to Covid. And now our 4 month has it.

I feel I should not send him to nursery anymore in order to protect my 4 month from it.

but then I feel bad for my elder child as he absolutely loves going nursery and then I feel I won’t be doing right by him if I take him out of nursery.

has anyone else been in the same position?

has anyone else had young babies that have had Covid and more than once?

thank you in advance

OP posts:
Please
or

RainStalksMyWashing · 07/10/2022 15:45

OP wish you all better. Keep an eye on your little one's hydration. As for your question, different families have decided different things. Some have chosen to delay nursery/homeschool, some haven't. You need to do what's best for your family overall.

Please
or

Peanut0423 · 08/10/2022 18:52

Hi @DeeDee3210 . I have a 5 month old that doctors think has Covid. I have a teenage daughter who got it first, then I've had it really bad and then a few nights ago my 5 month old was poorly to the point my husband took her to hospital. She was diagnosed with viral tonsilitis but they said it is more than likely that its Covid that manifested into that. Everyone else I know though has said it didn't affect their babies that much so we must have been really unlucky. I understand you wanting to keep your elder child from nursery. You are in catch 22 aren't you. It is rife in my daughters school at the moment and that's where it came from for us all to get it. Hope you are all feeling better soon x

Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 08/10/2022 21:38

Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it. Yes trying to ensure baby is feeding , and staying hydrated. It is really hard to know what to do for best in terms of whether to take three year old out of nursery until next year x

OP posts:
Please
or

worriedatthistime · 08/10/2022 21:47

You can pick it up anywhere though, do yo go to shop or have a partner that goes to work
Do you meet friends ?
Its so hard but ultimately you have to do what feels right for you

Please
or

Kcheey · 08/10/2022 21:52

Firstly I’m sorry to hear you’ve all been Ill and I hope your little one gets better soon. If you have all had it, then you have some immunity for a few months. As a family you have to do what is right for you. As a early years worker myself my advice would be, continue to send your three year old to nursery. Try and weigh the pros and cons for yourself. You said he loves going and the time he spends there is supporting his development, especially personal, social and emotional. He’s building resilience, language skills and this is all preparing him for reception year, giving him the best start to his education. When I started working with children, I used to catch everything going colds, viruses but now Iv built up the immunity of a cockroach lol and hardly get Ill. This is just my opinion and by no means am I right, just do what you feel is best for your children and try not to feel guilty. Although as mums I think we always find something to feel guilty about.

Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 08/10/2022 22:01

Thank you for your reply as well as sharing your situation. Sorry you too are suffering with it, especially for your 5 month year old. I am sending you lots of positive energy to hope you all recover from it soon. I hope I can make the right decision

OP posts:
Please
or

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 09/10/2022 05:31

Yeh my then 2.5yr old went to nursery and got covid, brought it home and we all got it Including 4 month old. Tbh for the children it was like a cold, it totally wiped me and DH out.

It crossed my mind to pull the 2.5yr old out of nursery but when I saw them both cope with it, there was no point?
And I'm glad I didn't because neither of them have had it again. Although there's been plenty other coughs and colds transferred to the baby but that's just what happens.

Please
or

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 09/10/2022 05:32

And there's plenty ways to catch it not just from nursery...

Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 09/10/2022 05:36

Thank you @worriedatthistime We actually don’t meet anyone (sad I know as since covid we have really just started to send him Nursery and that’s it really) I do the shopping but I still do it using precautions eg masks, sanitise , 2 metres apart etc. so I do think highly likely it’s from Nursery. It is hard x

OP posts:
Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 09/10/2022 05:48

Thank you @Kcheey for your get well wishes . And for your advice. It really is hard trying to decide balance. The idea to send him nursery was so that going to Reception next year wasn’t a total shock to him and he gets used to everything. He really enjoys it a lot.
you are right, whatever I decide I will always feel guilty.
I don’t show it to the children but I feel so down about it all, I know Covid has happened, but in my head and also what people kept telling me, it will be over soon, it will become part of the norm , but it just never seems to stop. Then there is everything else going on on top of it all. I feel like the future just looks so bleak (that’s another story anyway)
thanks again for your reply

OP posts:
Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 09/10/2022 05:50

Thank you @Hungrycaterpillarsmummy
so similar ages and situation thank you for sharing. Appreciate it x

OP posts:
Please
or

bananaorange00 · 09/10/2022 06:01

A few days after I gave birth I came down with covid so I assume I caught it in the hospital. My DH and DC (3) caught it but my newborn never showed any symptoms despite being in a house with all three of us. I would say don't take your little one out of nursery, especially if that's the only place he really goes. You've all caught covid now, you'll be immune for a while anyway. If he loves it let him keep going x

Please
or

Pollywoddles · 09/10/2022 06:02

My DD got it when she was 4 months. She had a temperature, sneezing, coughing and was generally ratty for a few days. All 3 of us got it here and all 3 of us had different symptoms.

I ended up bringing her to our local childrens hospital to let them check her and they advised to continue Paracetamol for 5 days.

Saline nasal drops are brilliant for blocked noses. Keep his fluids up and keep an eye on his temperature. Kids that young bounce right back but if you’re concerned about him then get him checked out.

I had to delay her 4 month vaccinations by a month too as that’s the general guidance according to my GP so just something to bear in mind if you have vaccinations coming up. I’m not in the UK so my schedule might be different.

Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 09/10/2022 19:58

Thank you @bananaorange00 Appreciate the reply. X

OP posts:
Please
or

PinkButtercups · 09/10/2022 20:02

I'm sure in January 2020 my DS had covid but they said it was bronchiolitis. I then get what he had and assumed I had covid.

December 2021 we all got covid and DS 2.5 then came out in a purple kind of rash so A&E wanted to see him where they also took bloods.

July 2022 me and DS got covid again and he had a snotty nose.

DS has also just started nursery now he is 3 and has a couple of colds already. Now I got a sore throat and 28 weeks pregnant just did a test and it's negative so hopefully it stays that way.

If you feel worried get him checked over x

Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 09/10/2022 20:03

Thank you @Pollywoddles . He just had the vaccinations 7 days prior to starting showing symptoms so just managed to get them in. Will definitely get him checked out if it gets really bad, more so his chest. Thank you again , as well as for the advice

OP posts:
Please
or

PinkButtercups · 09/10/2022 20:03

Forgot to add in January 2020 DS was 6 months old.

Please
or

PinkButtercups · 09/10/2022 20:04

DeeDee3210 · 09/10/2022 20:03

Thank you @Pollywoddles . He just had the vaccinations 7 days prior to starting showing symptoms so just managed to get them in. Will definitely get him checked out if it gets really bad, more so his chest. Thank you again , as well as for the advice

When you're worried that their breathing is not quite right check that's their ribs are not sucking in and also which I never knew is the side of their neck x

Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 09/10/2022 20:09

Thank you @PinkButtercups for your reply. It feels like it never ends, even after this I think I’m already feeling anxious about both kids getting it again.
my husband doesn’t want to take elder one out of nursery because he really does love it there so I think for now we will continue to send him (even though I’m still worried sick)
i hope your pregnancy goes well and wishing you all the best

OP posts:
Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 09/10/2022 20:09

Thank you @Pollywoddles again I shall do that x

OP posts:
Please
or

Seabreeze2 · 12/10/2022 14:36

Hi OP, how is your DS coping now? My 4 month DS has covid too, me and my husband came down with it on the weekend. Luckily it seems to have been a 48 hour thing for my boy, he seems a lot brighter today, however as he was unwell with a terrible fever he wouldn’t sleep anywhere unless it was on me and now all last night he wouldn’t go down in his cot.. all my hard work to get him into a good routine is undone. Small price to pay, I know! Hope your little one is doing okay x

Please
or

Mariposista · 13/10/2022 10:29

You cannot deny your older child all the (many) benefits of nursery just because of covid. Parenthood will soon teach you that bugs are inevitable.

Please
or

DeeDee3210 · 15/10/2022 22:20

Thank you @Seabreeze2 . I’m sorry to hear that you all caught it but glad to hear doing ok now. My boy is still had got chest cough, and really snotty inside. I know what you mean about sleeping . We used to be able to just put him in his cot when he was tired and he would fall asleep on his own. But since we have been holding him etc he too doesn’t like it at all.

thanks again x

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?