Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Shortness of breath- how concerned should I be?

12 replies

Coffeeismylifeforce · 11/09/2022 22:15

Heya, so I’m not entirely sure if this is covid related as I was ill a couple of weeks ago and didn’t test but the prevailing thought between family/doctors seems that I likely had covid (I didn’t think so at the time as no typical respiratory symptoms, more gastro and fatigue)
Anyway, I am having breathing issues and a heavy chest. I went to the doctors on Thursday and both a nurse and a doctor said that my chest wasn’t sounding as it should. I don’t have a cough or phlegm and apparently my lungs aren’t making any cracking/popping/other funny sounds but rather sound “dull” and like they aren’t taking in enough air. I was prescribed antibiotics but they don’t seem to be doing anything and if anything im a bit worse. I get breathless and dizzy standing up, doing anything around the house or even talking. Has anyone else had a similar experiences or have any recommendations?

OP posts:
Please
or

SouthOfFrance · 11/09/2022 22:17

Bump for you. Are you going to go back to the GP? Sounds like they half expect you to anyway if the antibiotics didn't do anything?

Please
or

Coffeeismylifeforce · 11/09/2022 22:22

I think I’m going to have to, I’m finding hard to do even basic day to day things and I’m a single mum to a 4 year old so that makes it difficult!

OP posts:
Please
or

Carrieonmywaywardsun · 11/09/2022 22:37

That does sound like the after effects of covid. And gastro and fatigue are very well reported covid symptoms!

Please
or

lovescats3 · 12/09/2022 18:43

Go back to GP

Please
or

Amipreg1 · 12/09/2022 18:46

Unfortuantely I was like this for a good few months after having covid. A chest xray showed that I had lung scarring and was diagnosed with long covid.

Please
or

klipwa · 12/09/2022 18:51

See your GP, rarely covid can unmask heart problems that have hitherto been unrecognised.

Please
or

Namenic · 12/09/2022 18:52

I think going back to gp is sensible (unless things have got worse than last week - in which case consider out of hours gp or a&e - can call 111 if unsure).

Please
or

stayathomegardener · 12/09/2022 19:01

You could look into a salt pipe and Lugols iodine.
I was in a similar position 03/20 and it worked for me.

Please
or

Coffeeismylifeforce · 12/09/2022 22:04

Thank you for your advice guys. I went to hospital earlier then was sent to another hospital with more equipment. After I felt like I was suffocating and almost collapsed I got fast tracked and put on oxygen and some other drug… first time I’ve been able to breathe in days. I’m now off oxygen and I’m sad 😅 waiting for bloods/X-rays and shall see what we see!

OP posts:
Please
or

SouthOfFrance · 12/09/2022 22:22

Oh no! Glad you got seen and they are sorting you out, sounds like you definitely needed some extra help! Get well soon

Please
or

Ahf22 · 12/09/2022 22:24

klipwa · 12/09/2022 18:51

See your GP, rarely covid can unmask heart problems that have hitherto been unrecognised.

What??? Explain please.

(speedy recovery OP)

Please
or

stayathomegardener · 13/09/2022 08:15

Glad you are feeling better.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?