Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Long covid?

7 replies

pierpoint · 07/08/2022 20:18

I had Covid in May. Felt like flu was bed bound for 3 days. Ever since I have a constant nasal drip at the back of my throat. If I speak for to long I get blocked up and can feel it in my nose and back of my throat (sorry tmi) still got a cough but not as bad but it's still there and I'm coughing phlegm still. I've had to 2 lots of antibiotics, done a sputum test but it looks like the hospital has lost it or can't process it. It's driving me insane! I sound so nasally like I have a constant cold. Everyone I speak to ask if I have a cold. I normally never get ill but this has lingered now for 2 months. Anyone have any advice before I go back to the doctors tomorrow?

OP posts:
Please
or

toffeechai · 07/08/2022 20:21

Following as I’ve got similar though not been as long yet. Hope you get some answers

Please
or

pierpoint · 07/08/2022 20:32

toffeechai · 07/08/2022 20:21

Following as I’ve got similar though not been as long yet. Hope you get some answers

Thank you. Hope you get some answers. It's honestly ruining my life atm. Constant coughing, sounding ill all the time! 2 months is far to long at this point!

OP posts:
Please
or

AntlerRose · 07/08/2022 20:40

I'm the same. I also find my voice gets hoarse very easily.

Please
or

CathyorClaire · 07/08/2022 20:42

I had it last month and found I had lingering foul taste and smell.

I started using a neti pot which was a tenner on Amazon and came with 40 pre-mixed salt sachets which helped a lot within a couple of days. I'm still using it once a day (use cooled boiled water- not tap water).

I still had a very dry mouth and ongoing bitter taste so I started rinsing with a salt mix (tap water and table salt) and that seems to have cleared quite noticeably too.

I've also found a good go with a water pic and electric toothbrush to have helped.

Hope you get sorted, OP. Covid is the pits.

Please
or

BG2015 · 07/08/2022 20:42

I have exactly the same. I had very mild covid in early April.

I also choke when eating food/drinks and my voice has changed. I've got constant mucous at the back of my throat and cannot walk very fast, carrying washing up and down the stairs leaves me breathless. Any exertion is troublesome. I'm also asthmatic. I've had a chest extra and also a sputum test but three weeks later I'm still waiting for results.

I have spoken to the long covid clinic who did an assessment over the phone. She confirmed I have long covid.

She suggested taking an antihistamine called Allieve which you can buy over the counter.

I also find that gargling with warm salt water helps break up the mucous - although it's grim 🤢 and makes me feel sick.

The coughing really gets me down. I'm a teacher and if I start coughing whilst I'm teaching I have to stop what I'm doing and try to calm my coughing/breathing down. It's embarrassing and very frustrating.

The nurse has referred me on to respiratory physiotherapists and ENT but goodness knows when I'll see them.

The nurse did say that the vast majority of people do improve over time.

Please
or

butterfly990 · 07/08/2022 21:07

My friend swears by pine needle tea for coughs. She said it helped her and her dad recover.

I ordered some and it just reminded me of Chinese tea.

Please
or

pierpoint · 07/08/2022 21:13

My voice has changed as well, it's constantly changing depending how long I'm talking etc. Can't believe how many people have the same symptoms. I've read about the Neti pots but nervous to try it but will give it a go.

Thanks for everyone's replies will give them all a go to try and get some relief. Even just typing this I can feel the mucous building at the back of my throat. It's like it's a constant tap. I think this must be what's making my voice change.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?