Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Anyone recently been to hospital

24 replies

Gameofhomes · 25/07/2022 22:50

This is a unusual question but we have an elderly family member that always has to be centre of attention. The relative in question has said she has covid. She did a home test. She phoned me on my holiday to say she had covid and was very ill. The next day i phoned she ignored all my calls. She then phoned me on route to hospital and she was drove by another relative. She was in and out of hospital within the hour. I'm not a nasty person but this relative is an attention seeker and lies so i take everything with a pinch of salt. We have had serious illness in my family but she always creates drama and suddenly becomes ill at the same time like a childish game. Hence why I'm questioning.
Apparently this relative did their own lateral flow test and it was positive. I asked if the hospital did a test when she went in ill with covid she Said no. I find it strange that a hospital would not test to see if it was covid if you went in that ill. They did go to hospital but were in and out within an hour as another relative took them. I dont want to seem nasty but I'm wondering if they are attention seeking again. I came home off my holiday due to them being ill but have been told not to go to their house as they are so ill with covid so im phoning them. Like I said my family have had covid a few months back. This relative without going into things too much tells huge lies. Even as low as lying about cancer. That's why I'm questioning as I've spoke on the phone to them and I get a different story every day. People do get different symptoms. However they over exagerate etc. For instance they are that ill they cant move yet i can hear them walking about and making a cup of tea on the phone at the same time.when they ignored me on the phone they slipped up that they had spoke to a few others. If you go to hospital as your that ill with a positive lateral flow done at home do hospitals now test to see if it is covid. She's phoned everyone saying how ill she is and we have all been told a different story .

OP posts:
Please
or

nocoolnamesleft · 25/07/2022 22:56

Our hospital is only doing rapid PCRs on patients who are being admitted. The machine can only run so many an hour. So that part is totally believable. Being in and out of hospital within an hour? Potentially less so!

Please
or

jiskoot · 25/07/2022 22:59

I think hospitals have all got different rules. The one I work at would do a test on someone with suspected covid or similar respiratory symptoms. I work in infection control and have to keep a record of everyone who has been through the hospital with it, even if they are in and out of A&E.

Please
or

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough · 25/07/2022 23:12

The first red flag would be they were in and out in an hour! In my trust they do a lft or a pcr one or the other would deffo have been done!

Please
or

TheFlis12345 · 25/07/2022 23:20

Where specifically within the hospital did they claim they went? No chance of being in and out of A&E in an hour but if it was a clinic appointment it could be possible.

Please
or

Gameofhomes · 25/07/2022 23:30

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough · 25/07/2022 23:12

The first red flag would be they were in and out in an hour! In my trust they do a lft or a pcr one or the other would deffo have been done!

That's what I thought. I got a phone call from her which more or less she made out she was at deaths door. I was hundreds of miles away at the time on holiday. She phoned 111 as she said she had covid due to her being elderly they told her to go to hospital. She walked in herself would not let the relative walk her in and phoned them for a lift home after an hour. Bearing in mind it was a weekend yet had no test. With what she was saying to me what was wrong with her I cant belive she didn't have a test or was not kept in for observation. I know all hospitals are different and a bed shortage but surely they would actually test for covid rather than go on the patients say so.

OP posts:
Please
or

Gameofhomes · 25/07/2022 23:45

TheFlis12345 · 25/07/2022 23:20

Where specifically within the hospital did they claim they went? No chance of being in and out of A&E in an hour but if it was a clinic appointment it could be possible.

I was told they went to A&E and were in their own room due to covid. However I could hear other people in background children crying etc. They phoned while they were waiting to see a doctor.

OP posts:
Please
or

Alittlebitofthis · 25/07/2022 23:59

I work in A&e and they would only test those who were being admitted.

Please
or

Madwife123 · 26/07/2022 00:03

Not a chance did someone go to A&E at the weekend and be seen and sent home within an hour!

But at my trust we wouldn’t retest unless we were admitting them to a ward

Please
or

Gameofhomes · 26/07/2022 00:16

Madwife123 · 26/07/2022 00:03

Not a chance did someone go to A&E at the weekend and be seen and sent home within an hour!

But at my trust we wouldn’t retest unless we were admitting them to a ward

So if someone went in to A&E apparently I'll with covid your hospital would not test for covid.

OP posts:
Please
or

Madwife123 · 26/07/2022 00:36

No they wouldn’t, they would take their word if they say they have a positive LFT. They would only test them if they were being admitted to the ward.

Please
or

Gameofhomes · 26/07/2022 00:42

@Madwife123 that's pretty scarey as if someone walked into A&E with covid they could spread it .

OP posts:
Please
or

Madwife123 · 26/07/2022 00:46

@Gameofhomes You no longer have to isolate with covid, it’s spreading everywhere already!

People are in work with covid, no masks everywhere. Restaurant workers are serving you food when they have covid. What difference is someone walking into A&E with it going to make?

And it’s A&E if they did have covid they still need emergency treatment so knowing about it wouldn’t make a difference as believe me the NHS does not have enough side rooms available for everyone testing positive. Most days they don’t have a single bed in the entire hospital free, and people wait in A&E for 12 hours to be admitted. So testing them would still mean they were waiting in A&E with other people and cost more money on tests that the NHS simply doesn’t have.

Please
or

SeaToSki · 26/07/2022 00:56

It sounds like it doesnt matter what the details are

You are pretty sure that this relative thrives on drama, and you may well be correct

I would suggest that you decide if you want to believe what they say and join the drama circus, or just treat them like a teenager (toddler)……Oh dear, hmm, wow…sorry must go, the door bell has rung….every time

Please
or

Gameofhomes · 26/07/2022 01:33

@SeaToSki I would like to believe them but when someone continually lies its hard. My family have had covid so procedures have changed none thankfully were seriously ill or went to hospital. We have continually issues with her regards drama and lies.

OP posts:
Please
or

lamaze1 · 26/07/2022 02:45

If she was that ill you'd have probably noticed on the phone.

I've had covid twice. First time at the start of 2020 was bad. I was very ill and on the cusp of having to go to hospital. The reason I didn't go was because (a) I didn't want to; and (b) despite being really ill I'd been advised by that based on my blood oxygen readings I probably wouldn't be admitted.

In the period I was ill, I could barely speak. If I wasn't coughing I was saying a few word and very breathless. A short call was exhausting and in the end I was using text. Anything that required a phone call went through my husband.

Please
or

Hairyfairy01 · 26/07/2022 05:33

My dd was recently in a&e with covid. They never tested for covid, just took my word for it.
If your gran was well enough to walk into a&e it sounds like she wasn't unwell enough to be admitted. It's quite possible that she was triaged by a nurse within the hour and sent on her way with a bit of advice to rest etc.
you literally have to be at deaths door to be admitted in my hospital due to bed shortages. Also if she has a poc they will be conscious not to lose that. But in all honesty it sounds like she wasn't unwell enough to warrant being seen by an a&e doctor.

Please
or

Tiani4 · 26/07/2022 08:37

I highly doubt that someone very ill with covid could walk to the hospital (unless it was 5m away from their house!) nor that 111 told an older person to do so that was so ill with covid that they required emergency treatment in A&E, they would have sent an ambulance to assess her first and to avoid hospital attendance.

If the person was well enough to be treated at home with OOOs GP, 111 would have arranged that first.

Please
or

1some1 · 26/07/2022 08:43

She's super vulnerable & ill, but she can walk there by herself?
Anyway, some hospitals triage the minor patients & send them to an on-site GP & back out door again very quickly. That could explain "in and out in an hour".

I dunno what you do about someone when you can't believe anything she says.

Please
or

LIZS · 26/07/2022 08:46

Not recently, but ime there is a red zone for triaging those with covid. It may be that they could take basic obs and discharge quickly if no concerns.

Please
or

Gameofhomes · 26/07/2022 10:53

@LIZS Everything changes with covid all the time. I find it hard to believe that 111 would allow someone so ill to walk into A&E with covid potentially spreading it through the hospital and see a patient and not even test. I'm not knocking the NHS but I could hear lot of people in the background etc.

OP posts:
Please
or

Hairyfairy01 · 26/07/2022 11:24

In my local hospital you have red and green a&e. Any covid symptoms or reporting of positive test result you get put in red. Broken legs, burns etc and no self reporting of positive covid test and you get put into green.

Please
or

Livpool · 26/07/2022 11:49

I was sent to AEC department yesterday and wasn't given a Covid test. I had Covid last month and told I did a negative test last week though.

The hospital would surely have tested your relative if she said she had Covid though

Please
or

Livpool · 26/07/2022 11:50

nocoolnamesleft · 25/07/2022 22:56

Our hospital is only doing rapid PCRs on patients who are being admitted. The machine can only run so many an hour. So that part is totally believable. Being in and out of hospital within an hour? Potentially less so!

Agreed! I was there for 7 hours - fantastic treatment though and great staff

Please
or

Gameofhomes · 26/07/2022 17:46

A relative called round unannounced she's eating ok and looks well just has a bit of a cold. Can manage to get about cook clean etc. They did not go in the house. Fast recovery!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?