Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Advice re flying on day 6 post positive result

16 replies

Edinlassy · 21/07/2022 23:09

Tested positive for first time yesterday. Feel brutal today. Am supposed to be going on a trip with dh and kids very early Tuesday morning which involves a flight and train travel.
If I am testing negative then fine but dh insists there are no rules anymore it’s just a flu and doesn’t matter if I still test positive as you don’t even need to test anymore. It just doesn’t sit right with me going on a flight if I am still positive but is he right? We have covid insurance so could claim back my ticket but he is positive I am fine to go. What would you do as just doesn’t feel right to me. How likely is it I will test negative by day 6?

OP posts:
Please
or

Cherryblossoms85 · 21/07/2022 23:12

Most people seem to test negative by then. Can vary though. Your DH is right about the rules, there aren't any.

Please
or

Penguintears · 21/07/2022 23:14

I don't think it's the case that most people test negative by day 6 at all. I think it would be completely irresponsible to go on a plane still testing positive for covid. What if the person you sit next to has cancer or is otherwise immune suppressed or you ruin other people's holiday or give someone long covid or put them in hospital? I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Please
or

GrandSlamFinalee · 21/07/2022 23:15

I tested negative on day 8, but the line was already fainting by day 6.

For me, it would depend on how many symptoms I still had by then. I personally felt fine after 3 days so wasn’t coughing or sneezing or anything like that. I wouldn’t get on a plane if I was still showing symptoms which is more likely to mean you’re contagious.

Current guidance in most countries is 5-7 days isolation after a positive test. Make of that what you will, I’d personally not get on plane if still ill, but would reassess if you feel better by then and the test is clearly going towards ‘no second line’.

Please
or

SpringSparrow · 21/07/2022 23:15

I’ve just had it and didn’t test negative until day ten. The guidance says to try and stay home for the first five days after testing positive and to stay away from vulnerable people for ten days. My husband had it about a fortnight before I did, and both of us isolated at home and stayed away from people until testing negative. I wouldn’t have caught a flight while I was still positive. I’d claim back for your ticket if I were you.

Please
or

JazzyBBG · 21/07/2022 23:15

I have same problem. Airline and insurance don't seem to give a shit. I feel rotten at present so just hoping it clears.

Please
or

Edinlassy · 21/07/2022 23:18

@Penguintears I totally agree and am upset with my husbands attitude on it to be honest am feeling awful with covid but made to feel guilty as to saying I don’t think I should be flying on Tuesday morning. I have an extremely vulnerable mum so it’s always in my mind how I would want her treated. Thanks everyone for the responses

OP posts:
Please
or

Edinlassy · 21/07/2022 23:20

@JazzyBBG rotten isn’t it. This was our first trip with the kids since covid 4 days at Disney Paris. I feel so guilty and can’t believe after avoiding it so long I get it right now. It is what it is though I hope you are ok

OP posts:
Please
or

sonjadog · 22/07/2022 08:41

I would go if you are feeling better by then and the test is negative or very faint, but wear a mask for the journey.

Please
or

LIZS · 22/07/2022 08:48

Chances are high another member of your family will catch it before then.

Please
or

JazzyBBG · 22/07/2022 08:54

@Edinlassy do you need a negative PCR for France still or not if vaccinated?

It's crap. Every time I think it's getting better something else happens. Just hope it does clear today as we are off tomorrow. We won't get any money back so going. If I feel like I did yesterday I would t be able to go but fingers crossed better today. It doesn't sit right with me that you can just board a plane with it but as I said no one seems to care and it would cost us £4k we wouldn't get back. Plus I could be fine by Sunday even if positive tomorrow. Good luck hope it clears.

Please
or

Mybeautifulfriend22 · 22/07/2022 08:58

Cherryblossoms85 · 21/07/2022 23:12

Most people seem to test negative by then. Can vary though. Your DH is right about the rules, there aren't any.

I was negative day 12! I work on a ward and we are not allowed in till negative or day 14 which tells me that the day 5 not infectious government guideline isn’t that true in all cases and much more to get people in work.

While mine was worse by day 3 but much better by day 6 I’d have not gone on holiday in that first week. Still getting random symptoms two weeks later but not sick.

You’ll get a mix or replies in here from the extreme don’t leave the house for a month to the oh it’s just a cold ( nope it’s not!) crack on and infect the plane as people are taking the risk by getting on one.

It will be your judgement call as a family. Also I I’ve worked with covid patients, been out and about throughout when able. Didn’t catch it at work caught it from my partner at home so it’ll probably spread through the house. This variant is as contagious as measles.

Please
or

Just4today · 22/07/2022 10:16

It's likely you will not feel well enough for the trip and all it involves. Would your dh go alone with the dc?
I suspect a good number of people at the airport will have covid just now, whether they know or not.

Please
or

Goawayangryman · 22/07/2022 19:39

Actually 6 days post test you may feel totally fine and be testing negative. Am on day 3 following a positive test and aside from a slightly upset tum feel fine. Just a wee bit tired. I haven't tested again as I've run out of tests and can't get another one as everyone else in the house has it too!

This is also presuming you tested when first infected. Could have had it for a while beforehand. Looking back now I obviously had (inspecific, non-respiratory) symptoms at least 3 days before I thought to test.

Please
or

CatLadyDrinksGin · 22/07/2022 19:43

I was positive on day 15 so I would bet on being negative by then.

Please
or

Goawayangryman · 22/07/2022 19:43

One in 17 people is testing positive right now so very likely there would be other people on the plane unknowingly spreading it.

I was so careful in the early days but at 1 in 17 it all feels rather futile. I mean, I would not get on a plane if actually symptomatic and sneezing and coughing but if I was 6+ days out from a positive test im not 100% sure what I'd do.

It would be lunacy at the moment to get on a plane if you were severely immunocompromised. Prevalence is so high.

Please
or

Sofedupofitall · 01/08/2022 17:48

Did you test positive on a lateral flow or a pcr? If a pcr I think there’s a record of it. Would you even be able to board a flight with a positive covid result?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?