Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

If you had covid towards end of 2020....

14 replies

Suzysuz · 21/07/2022 21:44

I think this was the alpha variant maybe? But it was definitely before vaccines:

1. how were you during covid?
  2. have you had any long term effects
  3. have you had any subsequent covid infections?

Me and family had it (tested positive Boxing Day 2020 🙈), young DS was absolutely fine and asymptomatic, husband and I suffered lots and it was the worst I'd ever felt.
    We both lost our sense of smell for a long time, mine seems much better now, DH's still isn't how it was.
    We haven't had any reinfection so far - we try to be careful where possible, but DS is at primary school and DH travels into London most weeks. Both vaccined and boostered.
OP posts:
Please
or

Wishfulthinking1977 · 21/07/2022 23:05

DH had it Jan 21 if that helps? Not sure if alpha or delta as both were prevelant in our area at that time! Tired for 1 week, 2 days in bed,high temperature, nausea and high temperature was the worst, back to normal within 10 days, possible 2nd march this year? 12 hour bad cold, no-one else in the house got anything! No lasting effects still unvaccinated xx

Please
or

Vanillaradio · 22/07/2022 14:54

We all had it August 2020. Not sure what variant this would have been. Dh had a cough and mild cold symptoms. Ds and I were asymptomatic- I was extremely surprised to test positive! I am clinically vulnerable and was expecting much worse! No long term effects and we have been lucky enough not to catch it since. Ds in particular has been a close contact on a number of occasion but hasn't tested positive/ had any symptoms.

Please
or

wizbit93 · 22/07/2022 17:55

Had it Nov 2020, pre jabs. Bit of a cold and very lethargic but that was all. Me and DH had it, kids didn't get it. I lost my sense of smell, and that didn't return properly for about six months or soGot it again in Jan 22, mild cold symptoms and didn't test positive until day 7, by which time I had

Please
or

wizbit93 · 22/07/2022 17:56

Oops pressed send! ...by which time I'd been at work all week! No one else in the house got it that time. Didn't lose sense of smell at all.

Please
or

Babdoc · 22/07/2022 17:59

Had it a bit earlier than you, OP - March 2020. Hospitalised on oxygen. Discharged breathless at 100 yards, severe fatigue, continuing cough.
Have had long Covid ever since. Second acute Covid infection 3 weeks ago.
Have slowly built up exercise tolerance to about 2-3 miles now, but still prone to relapses.

Please
or

TalkedTooMuchStayedTooLong · 22/07/2022 18:09

I had it Nov 2020 pre jabs... temperature & headache to start followed by exhaustion and complete loss of taste and smell... no cold/ cough those symptoms at all...ready to go to back to work after the ten day isolation... albeit quicker to tire than before. Senses of taste a smell took a while to return and I'd say never got back to 100%. Nobody else succumbed (3 teens)

Eldest teen tested positive in Jan this year... asymptomatic... nobody else tested positive.

Got it again end June of this year... triple vaccinated by then...again temp & headache & exhaustion plus this time a dry cough... very mild and was fine after 5 days, but work was over by then anyway! (School). Youngest DD tested positive at the same time - mild cold symptoms at most, other two did not.

Please
or

Floydthebarber · 22/07/2022 18:14

Both had it Oct 2020. Not very ill, just extremely tired. That tiredness lasted for a few weeks for me, loss of taste and smell completely for months, finally came back properly about 18 months later. Caught it again in January this year. Had a slight sore throat, that was it.

Please
or

chipshopElvis · 22/07/2022 18:20

DH had it in November 2020. Was fine like a mild sinusy cold. Has gone off eggs since says they taste funny, lost sense of smell for about 3 weeks. Had a reinfection a few weeks ago was like a mild cold with a temp for 24 hours.

Please
or

PieonaBarm · 22/07/2022 18:42

Both had it end Oct 20. I had temp, fatigue, nausea and loss of taste/smell which came back quickly. DH had shivers and my other symptoms. He took a few days longer than me to get over it and return to work.

Neither have had a reinfection and are now fully vaxxed

He's been fine ever since. I have crushing fatigue still and had complete renal failure with 3% kidney function when I presented at hospital,which they believe is linked to the Covid infection.

Thankfully after some horrendous treatment my kidneys are working at acceptable levels again.

Please
or

Abraxan · 22/07/2022 18:52

1. how were you during covid?
  2. have you had any long term effects
  3. have you had any subsequent covid infections?

I had it October 2020 and I'm classed as vulnerable. I've had the second booster, for example.

I was quite poorly with it. Needed to be in bed to rest. Headache and aches, etc.

My body reacted by making my blood pressure spiked so high the gp needed to call a cat 1 ambulance to get me to hospital due to a very real risk of heart attack or stroke. I was tested (as it wasn't routine then) and that's when it was discovered it was covid. I will need to take two different blood pressure meds daily for the rest of my life it seems, I'd never had any issues with BP previously.

I was diagnosed with long covid afterwards and it took several weeks to feel right. It led to an arthritis flare up - partly due to the virus and partially having to stop some of my meds during whilst infected. It took a fair while to get my breathing and energy levels back up. I wouldn't say I am totally recovered even now.

I caught it again - most likely from same place, my school, in January this year. I felt rubbish for a few days but much better within 24 hours of having the antiviral drip.
Please
or

Numbat2022 · 22/07/2022 18:57

My colleague had it Christmas 2020. She's late 20s and was really unwell, not hospitalised but very ill for two weeks. She recovered fully except for her sense of taste and smell, which still hasn't come back. She's been doing training and it is working a bit, but still very faint.

She hasn't had Covid again yet, despite being in a household with positive people.

Please
or

PuzzledObserver · 22/07/2022 18:58

I tested positive on New Year’s Eve 2020. Presumed to be Alpha.

I had a nasty cough, and a temperature just for one day. The main effect was fatigue, took 4-5 weeks to get back to normal.

No long-term effects.

No subsequent infections - unless they were so asymptomatic I didn’t bother to test. I have tested several times when I had COVID-like symptoms, never been positive.

Please
or

Orangio · 22/07/2022 19:13

1. Me - sniffles. DH - sore head.

2. No long term effects.
3. DH got it again a year later, and I didn't. He had the same sore head again.
Please
or

Sodiumchloride · 22/07/2022 19:20

Had it Christmas 2020. Bad flu like experience.
loss of taste and smell. No long term effects (I think)

second covid infection Christmas 2021 - super mild. Just a tickly throat. Did have my third jab 5 days before testing positive though

third covid infection this month - not as bad as first time but worse than second time. Really unwell. Still have sore throat and on and off headaches. I’m a week post covid at the moment.

I work in a school and covid is everywhere!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?