Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Post-Covid Fatigue

17 replies

Longingforatikihut · 21/07/2022 14:12

After 2.5 years it finally got me. I was positive for 9 days. I was symptomatic, but not completely debilitated. A mild to moderate sinus infection.

When I first tested negative 12 days ago I went out and about and whilst a little tired I managed a full day.

Two days later I tried to return to work and had to come home at lunch time as I was so exhausted. The level of exhaustion has gotten worse since.

I'm wondering if this was any one else's post covid experience, where the fatigue gets worse (before it hopefully gets better).

The sleeping seems to be lessening but if I walk to the end of my street I am physically drained to the point I feel dizzy and nauseous.

OP posts:
Please
or

LookdeepintotheParka · 21/07/2022 15:54

This has been the experience for lots of people I know plus staff that I manage. It's a nasty illness this variant. Hopefully work are being understanding and allowing you to pace yourself on return?

Please
or

Longingforatikihut · 21/07/2022 18:10

Work have been very understanding, as is my GP with regards to signing me off. But I just feel useless. I'm not good at doing nothing but I did fall asleep this morning after getting up, dressed and eating a bowl of cereal. How I'd get through a full day at my active job I don't know.

I've heard about iron tablets helping. I think I'll get some tomorrow when my friend takes me shopping.

OP posts:
Please
or

FarFarFarAndAway · 21/07/2022 21:46

@Longingforatikihut it sucks but @LookdeepintotheParka is right, this variant seems to cause no problems for some, and really bad fatigue for others. It isn't a linear getting better type situation, you can get better, worse, up and down. The best thing to do is to rest though- if you are feeling sick and dizzy from walking, I'd continue to rest a bit more and then just move about the house. Once you can do that, work up to walking outside. It took me about a month. Not ideal and you feel you are letting work down, but covid is unpredictable and people are fairly understanding of that. Definitely take the iron, not sure if it will help but I don't think it hurts for a defined period, I also take Vit D and zinc and feel that's helped.

Please
or

teraculum29 · 21/07/2022 21:51

Longingforatikihut · 21/07/2022 14:12

After 2.5 years it finally got me. I was positive for 9 days. I was symptomatic, but not completely debilitated. A mild to moderate sinus infection.

When I first tested negative 12 days ago I went out and about and whilst a little tired I managed a full day.

Two days later I tried to return to work and had to come home at lunch time as I was so exhausted. The level of exhaustion has gotten worse since.

I'm wondering if this was any one else's post covid experience, where the fatigue gets worse (before it hopefully gets better).

The sleeping seems to be lessening but if I walk to the end of my street I am physically drained to the point I feel dizzy and nauseous.

had covid in January this year, was also positive for 9days. It took me about month to recover, first 2 weeks I was very tired but up to a month the brain fog was present. And to this day my taste buds are not the same, as I prefer stronger flavours.

Please
or

teraculum29 · 21/07/2022 21:52

FarFarFarAndAway · 21/07/2022 21:46

@Longingforatikihut it sucks but @LookdeepintotheParka is right, this variant seems to cause no problems for some, and really bad fatigue for others. It isn't a linear getting better type situation, you can get better, worse, up and down. The best thing to do is to rest though- if you are feeling sick and dizzy from walking, I'd continue to rest a bit more and then just move about the house. Once you can do that, work up to walking outside. It took me about a month. Not ideal and you feel you are letting work down, but covid is unpredictable and people are fairly understanding of that. Definitely take the iron, not sure if it will help but I don't think it hurts for a defined period, I also take Vit D and zinc and feel that's helped.

Yes I take my vit D and Zinc, as it also helps with post covid hair loss.

Please
or

Glitterspy · 21/07/2022 21:54

Yes, a dear friend of mine is still bedridden after having covid last November and it becoming long covid sometime in January. It’s heartbreaking and her primary age kids are bewildered, her DP trying to keep it all together. Really take care of yourself OP, rest rest rest.

Please
or

ihatethecold · 21/07/2022 22:03

These have massively helped me get over covid recently.
very mild Illness but the exhaustion was unbelievable.

Post-Covid Fatigue
Please
or

Namechangeno25788 · 21/07/2022 22:08

I’m struggling as well. I can barely function and feel thoroughly exhausted - I’m day 24 (I think!). Also signed off work and can’t do anything useful around the house/garden. I’m due to go out for a long planned meal with DH and his friends on Saturday and I’m absolutely dreading it 😔

Please
or

Longingforatikihut · 21/07/2022 23:47

Thanks everyone. Part of me was thinking I was just being a huge wuss since the actual infection wasn't as bad as I feared. Its nice to not feel so alone, even if I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

@teraculum29 the hairloss! I was already quite a shedder but now... And I'm too tired to vacuum.

This evening I went to load dishwasher, wash the 5 non-dishwasher items and wipe sides down. I was sweating by the time I had finished.

I'll pick up supplements tomorrow whilst out.

OP posts:
Please
or

WarriorN · 22/07/2022 07:15

It took 3-4 months for me I'm afraid.

But I do remember having daily headaches and brain fog / fatigue with the very first jab that lasted 5 weeks. So I think I'm susceptible.

Second jab and second omicron has been better.

Please
or

WarriorN · 22/07/2022 07:16

I'm also in peri - raising hrt has helped. I still feel I need more!

Please
or

Longingforatikihut · 22/07/2022 13:46

Supplements acquired. Hopefully I'm not bald before they start to take effect.

OP posts:
Please
or

Magic1231 · 22/07/2022 17:02

I'm suffering from exactly the same! It's so difficult just to be yourself, I used to love being happy and making people laugh. Now I'm just silent and mopey, feeling very disconnected.
Its frustrating aswell because (although thankfully) none of my family have had it, so they don't understand and think I need to just 'pull myself together' they don't seem to realise peoples experiences with covid arent all the same xxx

Please
or

SortingOffice · 22/07/2022 17:09

I had covid last year and was hospitalised. The fatigue was the last thing to get better in my recovery.
Try not to compare each day, look back at how you felt a week ago.
Rest and more rest.
I suffer from a health condition that causes fatigue and I know not to push it.

In almost every other kind of illness it's useful to push yourself to do a bit more. Not this. If you overdo it your recovery goes backwards.

Please
or

FarFarFarAndAway · 22/07/2022 18:08

@Magic1231 Covid can cause or exacerbate depression, even if you were previously feeling fine. It's a real shock. All I'd say is that it might take a while but the old you is still in there. If it goes on for a long while, I would also see your doctor, I have ended up taking antidepressants which have worked. Covid made me feel terrible but I have turned a corner with it, I hope you can too.

Please
or

Hiheyho · 22/07/2022 18:31

I highly recommend a blood test to check your iron levels, this and taking iron supplements has helped me to beat post covid fatigue

Please
or

Magic1231 · 22/07/2022 20:03

Thanks for the advice ❤
I think I may just ring the doctors on monday (although with my surgery, wish me luck!) Think I could do with a blood test just to check. I'm already on 40mg Fluoxetine which helped me, perhaps I need to speak to a doctor about changing them or something xxx

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?