Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Dreadful Covid

17 replies

Jennybeans401 · 21/07/2022 07:34

I had a positive test three days ago and I feel dreadful. It's worse than flu and I am worrying about how winter will be if this is summer? We've been careful not to catch it as dh has immune problems but everyone we know seems to have it.

Shouldn't we go back to restrictions? I had flu about 20 years ago but with Covid I hear people catching it 3 or 4 times a year and being very ill with it each time. I worry how the vulnerable gave been thrown to the wolves.

OP posts:
Please
or

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross · 21/07/2022 07:40

What kind of restrictions are you proposing? How do you envisage them working long term?

Please
or

Jennybeans401 · 21/07/2022 07:46

Masks, possibly increasing ventilation in rooms, closer monitoring. It may prevent a total lockdown. I'm triple vaccinated and really ill with it. There were 700 covid deaths last week.

OP posts:
Please
or

AhaLyn · 21/07/2022 07:47

I get it. I’m just recovering i from it, triple vaccinated, felt like I was dying for 2 days, if I get this every month I’ll be on the scrap heap at work. I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe a targeted vaccine for whatever this awful version is.

Please
or

AhaLyn · 21/07/2022 07:48

Sorry 2 days out of the 9 so far, not a 2 day illness this one!

Please
or

Jennybeans401 · 21/07/2022 07:53

The idea of catching this every month would be torturous. I feel like most people I know have it and its more prevalent than ever, surely the 'let if fly' doesn't work and we need to have some restrictions to prevent more serious illness and deaths. Its also about the workability of living like this, if so many people are sick how can we run our NHS and other essential services?

OP posts:
Please
or

Kcc73 · 21/07/2022 07:59

Sorry to hear you so poorly. I been feeling unwell with v sore throat, headaches, limb aches for 2 days but still neg lft. Did you test positive straight away? I am bracing myself for what's to come and presuming if 1 in 19 approx have covid now that it probably is covid

Please
or

rookiemere · 21/07/2022 08:17

I had it last week and was grateful it happened on holiday as my once impeccable work attendance record is already fairly blemished.

Don't relish getting it every 2-3 months, but would rather that than live under restrictions forever.

Work attendance policies will have to change if this trend continues as although it may be less serious than before in terms of hospitalisations and deaths, the economy is going to struggle if people are off sick say 5 extra days a year.

Please
or

Nonimai · 21/07/2022 08:24

I completely agree. I’m 55 and have been ill with Covid for 5 days. This is my 3rd covid this year, each one lasts 10 days of hell plus a few weeks of lethargy. My husband goes to London on the train every week and it seems likely it is the jam-packed train journey. Being in our 50s we are also carers for elderly folks and have passed it to his 86 yr old auntie, who is really poorly - my husband is devastated and ofcourse I’ll himself. I have lost 6 weeks of work this year, my husband has lost 3. I genuinely believe that the well-being of vulnerable, middle aged and elderly people is being compromised in order to keep a ‘free’ society and keep industry, the transport system, hospitality etc afloat, without needing government subsidy. I agree with masks, distancing, public awareness and understanding of responsibility would go along way. Stop superspreader events . I recognise that if we did this some things will suffer, theatre for one. It’s very sad but I don’t think we are accepting the reality of the situation.

Please
or

pinklavenders · 21/07/2022 08:37

I think the vast majority of the population would rather catch covid a couple of times a year than live with restrictions.

New targeted vaccines are already being developed, so hopefully they will help too.

Please
or

Jennybeans401 · 21/07/2022 09:40

@Nonimai I'm with you, we also care for elderly PILs and very aware we have passed the virus to them. It's not workable either for people to have flu three or four times a year, just awful.

I know everyone wants yo carry on like normal but things aren't normal and won't be for a long time. The more the virus spreads the more it mutates and evades the latest vaccine. We are always on the backfoot.

OP posts:
Please
or

orangina01 · 21/07/2022 12:38

Nonimai · 21/07/2022 08:24

I completely agree. I’m 55 and have been ill with Covid for 5 days. This is my 3rd covid this year, each one lasts 10 days of hell plus a few weeks of lethargy. My husband goes to London on the train every week and it seems likely it is the jam-packed train journey. Being in our 50s we are also carers for elderly folks and have passed it to his 86 yr old auntie, who is really poorly - my husband is devastated and ofcourse I’ll himself. I have lost 6 weeks of work this year, my husband has lost 3. I genuinely believe that the well-being of vulnerable, middle aged and elderly people is being compromised in order to keep a ‘free’ society and keep industry, the transport system, hospitality etc afloat, without needing government subsidy. I agree with masks, distancing, public awareness and understanding of responsibility would go along way. Stop superspreader events . I recognise that if we did this some things will suffer, theatre for one. It’s very sad but I don’t think we are accepting the reality of the situation.

I know what you mean but surely we could keep theatre just with masking? I've been to the theatre twice since it opened back up and both times was one of only a handful masked people. I didn't mind that others weren't but with people coughing through the whole performance inside think that if we all just masked for those few hours it would vastly reduce transmission in that time. But I guess many don't want to. I don't wear a mask all the time but I do in crowded shops or indoor places. I've not had Covid but I am trying to minimise my risk while still living a normal life. I'm sure I can't outrun it forever but I can try!

My husband also commutes to London from about 40min away and he still wears a mask. He doesn't in the office but again, he chooses where the biggest risk is. He has also not had it.

I do think we can achieve a middle ground, though I totally understand where you are coming from as having it multiple times and passing it to family must be hard. Hope you feel better too and your husband's aunt will be okay also!

Please
or

Babyroobs · 21/07/2022 12:43

I was very ill in early June. LFT's kept testing negative but I just don't trust them. Symptoms were classic covid symptoms, sore throat , hacking cough, fatigue.
I have woken up this morning and feel ill again - woke up with a shocking coughing fit, muscles ache, feel really unwell. I'm worried about taking off sick time. My job involves home visits to vulnerable people which now have to be cancelled and re-arranged god knows when.

Please
or

pinklavenders · 21/07/2022 13:19

I know everyone wants yo carry on like normal but things aren't normal and won't be for a long time.

This is the new 'normal'. We have to accept that the virus, like other flu, cold viruses, will be here to stay! We have to accept that we'll get infected a couple of times a year.

Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 21/07/2022 13:23

Increasing ventilation is really good idea. It’s depressing that we haven’t really bothered with this at all, especially in schools.

If we get a big wave in winter, I hope there’ll be stronger messaging around wearing masks but it is difficult when then government has essentially washed their hands of it.

Please
or

rookiemere · 21/07/2022 13:25

@pinklavenders I don't know what the answer is, as - being from Scotland- I know that half measures such as enforced mask wearing appeared to make hee haw difference to actual spread rates and cause their own problems.

But I would say, at the minute it feels like more than just getting a bug a couple of times a year. Many people- including myself- see, to be getting ill once every 2-3 months to the point of being bed ridden for at least a couple of days.

I'm not sure that's something we just have to live with in the longer term.

Please
or

AhaLyn · 21/07/2022 13:58

@pinklavenders i take it you don’t use the NHS.

Please
or

JemimaPuddleducksWaddle · 21/07/2022 14:16

We have to accept that we'll get infected a couple of times a year.

Well I guess you have had it mildly if you have had it.

Personally I don't want to end up in hospital a couple of times a year,

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?